View previous topic | View next topic

I don't know if it's art...

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Celebaelin
1284667.  Mon May 21, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote

Nu couché (sur le côté gauche) Amedeo Modigliani - 1917

The above sold for $157.2 million at Sotheby's New York last Monday evening, the highest auction price in the establishment's history. Ahead of the sale, Sotheby's had predicted bids in excess of $150 million, a new benchmark for the highest pre-auction estimate offered for a work of art.

The previous record estimate of $140 million was set by Christie's in 2015 for Pablo Picasso's "Les femmes d'Alger (Version 'O')," which went on to sell for $179.4 million.

Les femmes d'Alger (Version 'O') Pablo Picasso - 1955

Celebaelin
1334526.  Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote

I've been looking at tapestries. Amongst the sort of subjects you'd expect I found a group of works which if I understand correctly are collectively called Musa.

Quote:
The world’s greatest living painter, Gerhard Richter, has never been only that: he was a performance artist early in his career, has produced photographs and sculptures for decades and even made a series of four tapestries in recent years. Just like in centuries past, the tapestries were made on a hefty jacquard loom and replicate the imagery of an earlier painting – though here, instead of any mythological subject, the work reproduces one of Richter’s trademark squeegeed abstractions. While the initial painting is a messy composition, the tapestries exhibit rigorous symmetry, perhaps reminiscent of Islamic decorative arts.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20140812-the-10-most-beautiful-tapestries

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/66/b5/54/66b554fbadb42786cf2b18a09a440fc5.jpg (image too big)
Gerhard Richter (2009)

The one top left in the first image sold at Christie's in 2013 for £1,031,250 but of them I think I like this one the best.

I don't know if the symmetry and the fact that they're woven on a jacquard loom is a comment regarding the mechanistic method of production compared with the more random nature of the original abstract but I find them rather pleasing.

Jenny
1334561.  Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote

That reminds me of a rather gorgeous kaleidoscope.

Celebaelin
1334664.  Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
That reminds me of a rather gorgeous kaleidoscope.

Kaleidoscopic was certainly a word that sprang to mind when I found it.

Jenny
1334685.  Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote

There's an "American Masters" programme on PBS about Mark Rothko. Some of his stuff I can relate to, but some just leaves me flummoxed because I can't experience it as art. This for example:

Celebaelin
1334690.  Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote

We agree way too much AFAIK!

Some years ago (maybe under 20, maybe not) a long term friend's son (who was 12/13 at the time IIRC
- p'raps 14) was presented with this image

as art homework without any other information and required to comment. Cut to me calling in of a Friday
as per usual and being asked for info on the above. His mother had drawn a blank at the library despite
rushing out asap to try and get the inside skinny so it was on me. Nothing, zip, zero, nada, rien, rien de
rien, nada de nada, etc. - well, only fairly obvious (and ultimately unvoiced) impressions not any actual solid
knowledge.

Whoop de frigging doo!

I'm still totally underwhelmed although I know the artists name now (see above).

Celebaelin
1335683.  Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:36 pm Reply with quote

Devolved Parliament Banksy (2009)

Sold at auction last month for £8.5m (£9.9m with fees).

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/banksy-world-record

Orphean Elegy 7 Bridget Riley (1979)

Sold for £2,831,250 at auction in October.

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/analysis/taking-the-guston-out-of-gloucestershire-jeremy-lancaster-collection-kicks-off-frieze-week-auctions
https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/bridget-riley-b-1931-orphean-elegy-7-6223661-details.aspx

crissdee
1335689.  Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:45 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Devolved Parliament Banksy (2009)

Now that I can appreciate. Not to the tune of nearly ten million quid, but at least it seems to show that he/she/it can actually paint, and if it was sold at auction, I assume it wasn't painted on someone else's wall. If Banksy would just stick to doing stuff like that, he/she etc.... might get a more favourable reception from this quarter.

suze
1335762.  Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
I assume it wasn't painted on someone else's wall.

No, it's boring old oil-on-canvas. Banksy has actually done quite a lot of oil paintings and a few pieces of sculpture as well as his better known spraycan-on-brick work.

Celebaelin
1338849.  Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote

Just on University Challenge this by Odilon Redon.

Roger and Angelica, ca. 1910

My first impression from the TV screen was very positive - on a closer look I'm less enthusiastic but it's
early days for me as yet.

A more vibrantly coloured image of the above.

Jenny
1338870.  Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote

I recently went to see the current N C Wyeth exhibition at the Portland Museum of Art, https://www.portlandmuseum.org/wyeth, and enjoyed it a lot. It's a very old-fashioned style nowadays, and of course a lot of his work was in providing illustrations for books (mainly those by Robert Louis Stevenson) but worth looking at all the same.

Celebaelin
1354993.  Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote

On White II Wassily Kandinsky (1923)

This is the art print that Chandler Bing has behind him in his office in Friends - the original is in the Musée National d’Art Moderne, Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris.

Quote:
Kandinsky’s On White II expresses an intelligent combination of the two main colors in the painting: black and white. Kandinsky used color to represent more than just shapes and figures in his paintings. In this painting the many dimensions of the color white is used to represent the many possibilities and opportunities available in life. The color black, on the other hand, represents non-existence and death. Kandinsky expressed the color black as the silence of death, and in this painting, the black cuts through the white background with a riotous effect, shattering the peace of the colorful combination of colors, or as it were, opportunities in life.

https://www.wikiart.org/en/wassily-kandinsky/on-white-ii-1923

Quote:
On White II by Wassily Kandinsky is a colorful and imaginative abstract painting on white canvas. This was Kandinsky’s most famous painting where various abstract geometrical shapes were used to create a noticeable appearance. He listened to music while creating this and his other pieces, which evoked emotions to come out on the canvas. The two main colors used are black and white, but the bright colors will capture anyone’s attention.

Long black points cut through the triangles, squares and other geometrical shapes of various bright colors. This painting is said to represent life and all of the opportunities that are available. The black inside of it represents death and how all of those opportunities can be taken away in an instant.

http://totallyhistory.com/on-white-ii/

I'm not utterly convinced by these interpretations regarding black - the interventions of an uncaring universe/environment would be closer to my guess.

The highest price ever paid for a Kandinsky was for Painting with White Lines $41.6M on June 21, 2017 at Sotheby's London.

Painting with White Lines Wassily Kandinsky (1913)

Personally I tend to prefer his geometric stuff

Capricious Line (1924)

Deepened Impulse (1928)

but if you're in search of pictorial abstraction as he was it seems to me that you may encounter certain frustrations.

Fugue (1914)

Quote:
fugue n.

1. Music
A contrapuntal composition in which a short melody or phrase (the subject) is introduced by one part and successively taken up by others and developed by interweaving the parts.

2. Psychiatry
A loss of awareness of one's identity, often coupled with flight from one's usual environment, associated with certain forms of hysteria and epilepsy.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
1355002.  Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote

It's interesting how different the geometric stuff is from the rest.

When I looked at the first picture I thought for a second it was Joan Miró, then realized it was less sparse and more dense than I associate with Miró's work.

But having said that, I looked at some other Miró that didn't seem sparse at all.

Celebaelin
1355039.  Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:19 am Reply with quote

That prompted me to look at the dates of the artists

Wassily Wassilyevich Kandinsky 16 December 1866 - December 1944

Joan Miró i Ferrà 20 April 1893 - 25 December 1983

When I look at Kandinsky's Untitled (1922) and Clear Connection (1925) I see similarities with Miro's Paisaje catalán - El cazador (1923-24), the first of your examples.

The second, Woman Encircled by the Flight of a Bird (1941) is more like some of Kandinsky's shamanic-influenced and ethnographic works such as Rows of Signs (1931), Striped (1934) and Sky Blue (1940).

While none of these comparisons to either Miro painting definitively show a link I'd agree that there are similarities.

Jenny
1355079.  Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote

One is never sure with these things whether it's Zeitgeist or (un)conscious influence from having seen so many of each other's paintings, in a period when so many painters and their work overlapped each other and were shown in exhibitions.

You could make a comparison with poetry too - where a style is popular for a while and then suddenly something different comes along and people read it and think "Hmm that's interesting, I'll have a go at that..."

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next