View previous topic | View next topic

I don't know if it's art...

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Celebaelin
1187746.  Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote

Obscure, mainstream, whatever; post 'em if you've got 'em.

I'm gonna start with this, not because it reflects my usual tastes, although the colours are right up my aesthetic alley (fnarr fnarr), but boat, harbour, sunset - simple! What else do you need?

Paul Signac - The Port at Sunset
(Saint-Tropez)

Bear with me and I'll try to find a version you can look at without having to scroll! I've not seen the original but hopefully the colour balance on this version is about right; you can make out the detail on the far shore on the lhs as we look at it for example.

I just thought - maybe this should be in Lists; perhaps Jenny will oblige.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Janet H
1187762.  Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote

The sea is most disconcertingly listing.

Awitt
1187779.  Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote

As long as the boats/yachts don't!

PDR
1187780.  Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote

Janet H wrote:
The sea is most disconcertingly listing.

Be perfect for some down-hill waterskiing then.

PDR

Jenny
1187796.  Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote

I'll move it to Lists for you Cel :-) Nice topic.

Jenny
1187797.  Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote

This is one of my favourites. When I saw it in a museum in France I kept going back to see it again as I was walking round.

bemahan
1187825.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:48 am Reply with quote

Love that, Jenny. I could look at it for hours. Not sure what it is about it. Don't usually particularly like Picasso. I do like Nubian goats though and it looks like a wild* goat.

*Mind you, I'd be wild if I'd been hung on a wall in a museum for years.

'yorz
1187848.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote

I don't think anybody will question whether the goat is art, since it was made by Pablo. :-)

Jenny
1187910.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Bem - that's how I felt about it. I am not a huge fan of Picasso but there was something about this particular image that hooked me. I think it was something about the goat's expression, and about the boniness of it.

Celebaelin
1187937.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Boven en onder* - M.C. Escher
1947 Litho
(High and Low/L'haut et La Bas)

* I'm "sure" my copy had a Dutch name with a lot more i's, j's and indeed k's in it but it's inside the frame so I'll have to ask 'yorz if she knows/can find out what that might be.

A colourised form (a virtual 3D recreation of M.C. Escherīs lithography by David Carbayo) though I note the boy and girl are not represented, the background buildings curve rather more, a mosaic (and tessallated) ceiling rather than a vaulted one etc. etc.

Jan - tilt The Port at Sunset (or your head) so that the horizon is level if it bothers you. You'll notice that the boat adopts a more even keel that way too!

'yorz
1187947.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote

The only titles I can find are Boven en Onder and Van Boven en Onder (from above and below),
a litho from 1947. No idea what the actual title is.
Where you saw the Js, Is and Ks - I have no idea, Cel. Perhaps they are part of a description?
No doubt all will be revealed once you have removed the frame.

Celebaelin
1187954.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
No doubt all will be revealed once you have removed the frame.

Yeah, not gonna happen - not on purpose anyway. That picture has been on my wall for 28 years now in a custom frame worth roughly 14 times the price of the poster inside it; far and away my favourite Escher (above Escherichia coli even).

'yorz
1187957.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Butbutbut - any normal frame can be removed without damaging the print/painting/etching. Unless I misunderstand 'custom frame'; did you make it yourself? Did you glue the whole lot together?

Celebaelin
1187969.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote

The way it has been framed means that I'd almost certainly make a ham-fisted job of trying to re-frame it afterwards; this might not be the case but the tape on the reverse side deters me from investigating further - stripping that off could be the first step towards disaster. On looking at the reverse side however I'm reminded that the guy who framed it for me cut the label off the poster and stuck it on the back. Unfortunately it's printed in point size 5 or so and under artificial light I can't read it but the Dutch words I'm thinking of may well be there; if so I'll get back to you on it.

'yorz
1187983.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote

You mean there's paper strip over the seams? I would never 'strip' anything off the back of a painting. Always carefully cut.
The chance of inflicting damage is too great.

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next