View previous topic | View next topic

Corby-My Hometown

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

samivel
67858.  Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote

ant-panic wrote:
i never knew that corby was the largest town in europe without a train station...and i live in corby!!!

Unfortunately, it isn't correct. See this:

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=43474&highlight=corby#43474

ant-panic
67891.  Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote

corby's train station is no more though so surely we should count?

AndyE
67895.  Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:12 am Reply with quote

Well Corby would be on a list of, say, the twenty largest towns with no train service. But as I explained on that other thread, it just isn't the largest.

Which is the largest comes down to how you define a town, but it's Gosport near Portsmouth under one set of rules and Washington in the north east under another - both places have a larger population than Corby.

And on a point of pedantry, I thought that Corby station still existed i.e. there are platforms and things. Trains occasionally pass through if work on the main line means that trains between Kettering and Leicester have to be diverted, but none has stopped at Corby since the 80s. One therefore has to be slightly careful in phrasing the question since Corby has a station but no train service.

ant-panic
67907.  Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote

oh right...i see what you mean. thanks for proving me wrong. it's not often that happens so consider yourself lucky

djgordy
124747.  Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Corby is back in the news: as yob capital of the country. How proud they must be.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6215566.stm

soturin
397030.  Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote

even if corby actually has a train station, Ioaninna, in Greece has no train station for sure and i'm quite sure it's larger than Corby.

I don't know if it is the largest town in europe without one but could be since it has a population of 70000 and the reason it hasn't one is practical, it's surrounded by mountains so you'd need lots of tunnels and bridges. Only now, a proper motorway that goes there is nearing completion, Egnatia

AndyE
732511.  Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote

An item of spam was posted to this thread a little earlier, which suze has deleted. But it did bring us back to one of my favourite topics.

Corby now has, once again, not only a railway station but also a train service; East Midlands Trains began to serve it last February. The station now being used is in fact a new one; it was found easier to build the new station about 50 yards from the old one than to rebuild the old platforms. So even had Corby ever been Britain's largest railway-free town, it wouldn't be any more.

As for the largest such in Europe, I don't think I can agree with the suggestion of IoŠnnina. A railway line from KalabŠka to IoŠnnina is currently projected, but even while it doesn't exist I don't think IoŠnnina is the answer.

That city's population is cited as 75,179 (2001, National Statistical Service of Greece). As such, it isn't even Greece's largest railway-free city; there are no railways on Crete, and Crete's main city ErŠkleion has a population of 144,642 (same source). (NB. this website is apparently an in-joke; it seems that Cretan Railways (non-existence thereof) is a common topic of humour among Greeks.)

While I am open to correction here, I think that ErŠkleion may in fact be Europe's second largest railway-free city. The only larger one that comes to mind at present is ReykjavŪk, with a population of 200,710 (2010, Statistics Iceland). Just as with Crete, there are no railways in Iceland.

mollair
970127.  Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote

Both Reykjavik and Crete are not on mainland europe. However the city of TromsÝ with a population of 70.059, located in the northern parts of Norway 600 km north of the polar circle. Do not have a railway station nor has it ever had one. There are no train lines going even remotely close to the city. Closest one is in the city of Narvik, 250 km further south. There are no plans of continuing the line northbound from Narvik, and it probably never will be.

The closest thing to a railwaystation is a bar called Jernbanestasjonen (The train station) and the only thing leaving there are drunk middelaged men.

AndyE
970145.  Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Welcome, mollair!

According to Statistics Norway the population of TromsÝ as of 1 Jan 2012 was 57,015. (The larger figure quoted is the population of the whole of the TromsÝ kommune - borough, more or less - which includes a large rural area as well as the city itself.)

So, does that make it the largest centre of population on the main continental landmass to lack a railway station? That sort of question is never easy to answer, because there are any number of ways in which we could define our terms. (Is Dudley a centre of population, or is it a suburb of Birmingham? Does Livingston have a railway station, when the station which bears the town's name is actually two miles away? And how are we defining "Europe"?)

But in fact, I don't think we need to consider any of those issues in deciding that the answer to the question is "No". IoŠnnina in Greece, mentioned above, is on the mainland and has a population of 85,803 according to the Greek census of 2011. Although a railway line to IoŠnnina has been planned for several decades, it has never been built.

Viseu in Portugal (population 61,147 as of the Portuguese census of 2001, which is the latest available) is another railway-free city which is larger than TromsÝ. There may be others.

I think that the largest city in the world with no railway station may be Manaus in Brazil (population 2,284,000). There are plans to construct a city metro, but sources appear unconvinced that it will actually happen, and even then there will be no rail connection with the rest of Brazil.

AlmondFacialBar
970152.  Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote

AndyE wrote:
I think that the largest city in the world with no railway station may be Manaus in Brazil (population 2,284,000). There are plans to construct a city metro, but sources appear unconvinced that it will actually happen, and even then there will be no rail connection with the rest of Brazil.

But then trying to build a railway to Manaus would be the kind of project that makes Fitzcarraldo look like putting up a Billy, so I feel we should refrain from criticism of the Brazilians there. Not to mention that the city is infrastructurally well served by any number of perfectly servicable rivers.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

CB27
970154.  Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Is it just me or did anyone else also have the voice of Telly Savalas in their mind when they read out the title of this thread?

Strawberry
970170.  Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote

CB27's post made me crack up laughing, even though i didn't hear Telly Savalas when i saw the title. Also, welcome to Mollair.

suze
970181.  Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
But then trying to build a railway to Manaus would be the kind of project that makes Fitzcarraldo look like putting up a Billy, so I feel we should refrain from criticism of the Brazilians there. Not to mention that the city is infrastructurally well served by any number of perfectly servicable rivers.

Andy agrees, and notes that the city wasn't connected to the road network either until as recently as 1972. It is, after all, in the middle of a jungle and a very long way from any other major city.

Manaus had streetcars as early as 1896, and by 1909 it had electric streetcars. In both cases, it was second in Brazil behind Rio. One thing on which it beat Rio, though - smoking was banned on those streetcars as early as 1910. We think this may have been the first smokefree public transportation in the world.

The streetcar lines closed in the 50s, mainly because the electricity supply was then unreliable, and these days there are only buses.

But no, Manaus has never had a mainline railway. Even so, Andy wishes me to take a point off you if you didn't know that most Brazilian railways are built to Irish Gauge (5' 3"). Outside the island of Ireland, Australia and Brazil are the only places to use this gauge.

tetsabb
970365.  Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote

AFB wrote
Quote:
I feel we should refrain from criticism of the Brazilians

Made me titter.
Sorry, serious subject, straight face, sober....
*Pffft*
STOP IT

CB27
970393.  Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote

It's not fair to tear a strip off the Brazilians...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next