View previous topic | View next topic

Rare entries contest

Page 1 of 1

GuyBarry
1182971.  Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote

This is a type of quiz that's been around on the internet for about 20 years but seems to have waned in popularity recently. In some ways it's similar to the quiz show Pointless on television, but with some important differences as well. Rather than using the traditional scoring system I've developed a simplified system partly based on Pointless.

Questions are of the form "name a member of such-and-such a category". The object is to come up with an answer that's found by as few of your fellow contestants as possible. So if you're the only person to come up with a particular answer, you get the ideal score of 0 points. If only one other contestant comes up with the same answer as you, you get 1 point. In general your score is equal to the number of other contestants who come up with the same answer, as long as you're correct.

Incorrect answers and skipped questions are scored differently. You get a penalty score of 5 points, plus the highest score for a correct answer on that question. For instance, if the highest score for a correct answer was 3, you get 8 points. Scores are totalled at the end, and the lowest overall score wins.

You can research questions in any way you like; all reference material, both online and offline, is allowed. You can also ask for clarification of questions in the thread, provided you don't give away any correct answers. The only thing you can't do is collaborate with other players.

Please submit your answers to the quiz, to me by private message, by 23:59 on Saturday 26th March. I will endeavour to post the results as soon as possible the following morning. If you've any questions about the game mechanics, don't hesitate to ask them in the thread.

(1) Name an English or British monarch who was not succeeded by one of their children.
(2) Name a motorway in Great Britain with a three-digit number.
(3) Name a unit of currency that was replaced by the euro.
(4) Name a sovereign state that has a land border with exactly one other sovereign state.
(5) Name a chemical element whose symbol does not start with the same letter as its conventional English name.
(6) Name a UK political party that has been represented in the House of Commons, but never with more than five MPs.
(7) Name a former ITV company that lost its franchise (as opposed to being bought up by another one).
(8) Name a river or estuary in Great Britain that is crossed by a toll bridge.
(9) Name a British national daily newspaper that has appeared within the last 50 years, but is no longer in circulation.
(10) Name any song that came second for the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest.

GuyBarry
1184035.  Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote

There have been no entries to this contest, so it is declared void.

tetsabb
1184038.  Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote

Well, I'll have a stab purely from memory, having rather forgotten about this competition.. Offering a few options, too
1: Liz 1, or Charles 1
2: M271 or 275
3: Drachma
4: Canada, Rep of Ireland, Portugal, South Korea, Singapore, Vatican City
5: Iron (Fe) Lead (Pl)
6: Green, UKIP
7: TVS
8: Thames or Severn
9: The Independent, as of yesterday
10: Congratulations by Sir Harry Webb

Do I get points?

GuyBarry
1184104.  Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:

Do I get points?

No, because you haven't followed the rules of the quiz. Ignoring the fact that you've missed the deadline, you're meant to submit your answers privately to the quizmaster, the object being to find answers that are submitted by as few other contestants as possible. Posting them to the forum rather defeats the object.

But thanks for playing anyway.

'yorz
1184119.  Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:14 am Reply with quote

tets, you're a Naughty Boy!

Alfred E Neuman
1184124.  Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote

Quite the rule breaker isn't he?

tetsabb
1184126.  Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:22 am Reply with quote

Seeing as the deadline had passed, I did not expect it to matter.
Mea culpa

GuyBarry
1184171.  Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote

Well of course it doesn't matter now. If you're looking for points:

Q3, 7, 10: 0 points (correct and unique)
Q1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8: 5 penalty points per question (only one answer allowed)
Q9: 5 penalty points (was still in publication at the time of the quiz)

Total 35 points.

Incidentally there is no such person as "Sir Harry Webb" (he was knighted as "Sir Cliff Richard"), but since I wasn't asking for the name of the performer it doesn't matter.

PDR
1184176.  Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote

Is number 7 "The franco-prussian alliance of 1871", and is number 1 "King Roscoe"?

PDR

crissdee
1184183.  Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote

Perhaps you aren't aware of this GuyBarry, but not all of the posts made on here are entirely serious. 😆

Alfred E Neuman
1184186.  Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Perhaps you aren't aware of this GuyBarry, but not all of the posts made on here are entirely serious. 😆

You're joking!

GuyBarry
1184191.  Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:

Indeed. A good example being the one I made above.

Joking apart, is anyone interested in having this type of quiz on the forum? They've become something of a craze on another forum I take part in - I think the success of Pointless has made "obscure answers" a bit of a hot property. They tend to be on more specialized topics than this one but I thought I'd try out a general knowledge version as an introduction. Realistically you need a minimum of about 10 entrants per quiz to make it a workable proposition, but I've taken part in ones with as few as three.

Alfred E Neuman
1184202.  Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Joking apart, is anyone interested in having this type of quiz on the forum?

It might just be me, but I suspect that the response to your first post is the answer.

tetsabb
1184228.  Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:
Joking apart, is anyone interested in having this type of quiz on the forum?

It might just be me, but I suspect that the response to your first post is the answer.

I think Alf may be right

Page 1 of 1