View previous topic | View next topic

Middle Muddle and the Spectacles of error

Page 1 of 1

Should the Question about the invention of Glasses be asked again so Alan could get it wrong?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Who Cares?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

CyberPaddy66
1181829.  Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote

At the 8 minute mark Setphen Fry said that Spectacles came in (invented) in the 1800's but that is totally not true, the earliest recorded use of 'glasses' was in the 1500's and there is speculation that they date even further back than that but as yet we have no real evidence of when they were first used.

http://www.antiquespectacles.com/history/ages/through_the_ages.htm#

I think had he said that they were 'popular' in the 1800's I might have let it slip but saying they were 'invented' in the 1800's goes against my every fibre as a Medievalist who would love to have everything historically accurate, however my costumes and armour are not as accurate as I would like yet and given that I now need to wear glasses myself I wouldn't want someone with only the knowledge gained from QI to tell me I can't wear my medieval glasses as they weren't invented yet.

I'm not expecting any kind of apology or public withdrawal but it would be great if in the next few shows the question of when glasses were invented came up again and Alan could get it wrong so Stephen could point out the correct earliest date so far :D

Do you think this question needs to be re-asked?

tetsabb
1181869.  Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote

Of course, it would now have to be Sandi Toksvig asking the question.

Jenny
1181953.  Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote

And it would have to have an N connection for the next series :-)

crissdee
1181980.  Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Nose-based medical aids?

Non-standard vision?

Necessary assistance?

Near-sightedness?

Bondee
1182050.  Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:31 am Reply with quote

Maybe wait a couple of years for pince-nez?

PDR
1182052.  Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote

Not the 1800s after all?

PDR

brunel
1182075.  Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote

CyberPaddy66 wrote:
At the 8 minute mark Setphen Fry said that Spectacles came in (invented) in the 1800's but that is totally not true, the earliest recorded use of 'glasses' was in the 1500's and there is speculation that they date even further back than that but as yet we have no real evidence of when they were first used.

I think that you've slightly misinterpreted what he says - Fry asks the question whether the spectacles or monocle came first, and says that spectacles came first "by hundreds of years" (so, strictly speaking, he doesn't actually give a definite date for when spectacles were first invented).

It is monocles which Fry says came in around the 1800's, not spectacles (although your link does point out that this is potentially incorrect, as it puts the invention of the monocle in the 1720's).

CyberPaddy66
1183807.  Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote

brunel wrote:
CyberPaddy66 wrote:

I think that you've slightly misinterpreted what he says - Fry asks the question whether the spectacles or monocle came first, and says that spectacles came first "by hundreds of years" (so, strictly speaking, he doesn't actually give a definite date for when spectacles were first invented).

It is monocles which Fry says came in around the 1800's, not spectacles (although your link does point out that this is potentially incorrect, as it puts the invention of the monocle in the 1720's).

good point, having re-watched it I can see that it's easy to miss the exact specifics of the question :D

crissdee wrote:
Nose-based medical aids?

Non-standard vision?

Necessary assistance?

Near-sightedness?

close enough for me and yes Tetsabb you are now correct, I hope she's going to be as good as I hope she is, I wonder if she could have Stephen on the show at the same time to deduct points from him ;)

Jenny
1183810.  Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote

I think she'll be excellent. I'm not sure if Stephen is going to be a guest at some point, but I think it may not be this year if so.

ali
1185216.  Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote

William Shakespeare wrote:
GLOUCESTER

What paper were you reading?

EDMUND

Nothing, my lord.

GLOUCESTER

No? What needed, then, that terrible dispatch of
it into your pocket? the quality of nothing hath
not such need to hide itself. Let's see: come,
if it be nothing, I shall not need spectacles.

King Lear Act 1 Scene 2. (1606)

'yorz
1185217.  Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:03 am Reply with quote

Museum of Vision (US) says:

Quote:
A simple historical timeline of eyeglasses starts with their invention, believed to be between 1268 and 1289 in Italy. The inventor is unknown. The earliest eyeglasses were worn by monks and scholars. They were held in front of the eyes or balanced on the nose. The invention of the printing press in 1452, the growing rate of literacy and the availability of books, encouraged new designs and the eventual mass production of inexpensive eyeglasses.

Page 1 of 1