View previous topic | View next topic

I was Quoted on a show

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Alfred E Neuman
1180748.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote

A brief Google threw this page up, where the full phrase is discussed intermittently.

http://h2g2.com/forums/A148907/conversation/view/F19585/T170785/page/1

If you read post 20 and Spikey's reply in post 24, it seems he's been using the phrase as an email signature nearly as long as you, and the phrase itself since about 1979.

Or are you Spikey? :-)

HumanPenguin
1180751.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote

I've just had eye surgery so will need to view that in more detail later.

But as far as I can tel that Only covers my work here is done.

The whole quote is the main point. I am not claiming responsibly for just my work here is done. But the whole quote.

"Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done"

Any quote can be said to contain a small element of another quote. It is the feeling and cheek of the whole statment that makes it as far as I know origina

Again sorry for typos etc. I am having issues atm suffering from diabetic retinopathy. So after surgery can only really see from one eye.

PDR
1180757.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote

"My work here is done" comes from the novel "Shane" (1949) doesn't it?

PDR

PDR
1180758.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote

Actually a bit of research suggests it was borrowed even then from the original Lone Ranger radio series (from 1933 onwards) where it was a common (but not universal) sign-off line to episodes. It was also borrowed frequently by the superhero comics from the late 30s onwards.

PDR

HumanPenguin
1180759.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote

The link posted above indicates the my work is done part is even older then that.

They suggest blacksmiths used to place it on gravestones in the 1700s.

But nothing in the link is able to claim the whole phrase before i started using it around 2000.

I would love to find a link older then that. And will admit as a huge h2g2 fan. In sounds Zaphody.

But as far as I know it was original. But then its not unknown for folks to write whole books without realising the story is inspired elsewhere.

Alfred E Neuman
1180766.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:16 am Reply with quote

HumanPenguin wrote:
The link posted above indicates the my work is done part is even older then that.
But nothing in the link is able to claim the whole phrase before i started using it around 2000.

Did you not read posts 20 and 24 of that thread, where they discuss the whole phrase?

Post 20 (my bold)
Quote:
>"Chaos, Panic, Disorder. My work here is done." (and who originated *that?).<
I'll claim that one on behalf of Spikey, King of the Goblins (U148884), infrequent user of this site, whose been signing his e-mail;s like that for several years now.
I will e-mail and ask him the origin, if it's not original...

And post 24 (again, my bold)
Quote:
SpikeyPosted Mar 8, 2002

I have indeed been using that phrase on me mail for at least a year, before that it has been my catchphrase since my brother coined it of me circa 1979. I know it was far from original back then. My friends bought me my own tequilla shot Glass with it on (or maybe I bought it myself) a few Christmasses back to add to the collection.
it just kinda fits.

HumanPenguin
1180768.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote

OK as I pointed out My eyes are very bad ATM so I did have a little issue finding that. Appreciate you posting it so clearly.

2000 to 2002 is about the same time I started using it. But I have been on the internet since 1992 so it is possible that at some point I have come across Spikeys comments and seen them before.

Hell its even possible I met him in a pub somewhere between 1979 and 200 and the phrase bubbled up from my subconscious.

Of course I rather beleave 2 very cool people came up with the same joke seperatly. And being sick at the moment Im gonna take that one.

Again thanks.

Alfred E Neuman
1180769.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote

HumanPenguin wrote:
Again thanks.

Pleasure. And I'm disappointed - I was hoping you'd turn out to be Spikey :-)

PDR
1180771.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote

No, I'M Spikey!

Or was it Sparticus? I forget.

PDR

HumanPenguin
1180775.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote

Sorta wishing Id turned out to be Spikey myself.

I was certainly in a few pubs in 1979. But at only 9YO (Well things were very different in the 1970s :)

Alfred E Neuman
1180798.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
No, I'M Spikey!

Or was it Sparticus? I forget.

PDR

Brutus?

PDR
1180802.  Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote

Et tu?

Well they've certainly all got it infamy at the moment.

PDR

CharliesDragon
1181242.  Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote

I'm just a bit confused as to why one would assume one's unique e-mail signature is being quoted by someone one has never encountered, and the signature has not been widely spread ("gone viral," as they say), rather than assume someone else has come up with the same sentence independantly, and that is what has spread. It might have been thought up by and spread by a lot of people, each of them being an original source.

Regardless I do understand the excitement of hearing a sentence one feels close to said on a TV show. :)

crissdee
1186380.  Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Reading that link that Alf provided, the original questioner must have been something of an H2G2 fan;

somebody wrote:

Hoovooloo Started conversation Mar 8, 2002

This has been bugging me, and several friends. It's a common phrase, lately much used for ironic effect as in "Chaos, Panic, Disorder. My work here is done." (and who originated *that?). 

It's so common it seems almost to have passed into the language. But from WHERE? It sounds like something from a Western. I've guessed at the Lone Ranger, but I can't confirm it. 

PLEASE - does anyone know who originally said "My work here is done" as a sort of tagline or catchphrase? 

And are there any other "famous" uses of it? (i.e. in film scripts - one of my friends suggested that Bill Murray may have said it in Ghostbusters, but this proved not to be the case...) 

Thanks in advance. 

H. 

They don't claim to have invented it, but it is dated around the time HumanPenguin thinks they started using it.

crissdee
1187527.  Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Also found this while surfing from a posted link.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/digerati/works/396328-chaos-panic-and-disorder-my-work-here-is-done?body_color=silver&country_code=AU&p=t-shirt&print_location=front&size=medium&style=mens&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_medium=google_products&utm_source=google&gclid=CK3zyOaPj8wCFbYV0wod8iMGWA

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next