View previous topic | View next topic

We're all guilty!

Page 1 of 1

MatC
67456.  Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote

Q: How many members of this panel are war criminals?

“On Sept 1st 2001, for the first time in our long and turbulent history, British citizens became criminally responsible in law for the actions of their government. By introducing the crime of ‘conduct ancillary to genocide’ and defining ancillary conduct as ‘aiding, abetting, counselling, procuring, inciting, attempting, conspiring, assisting or concealing the commission of an offence’, Parliament made sure that anyone with even a minor role in the commission of such heinous crimes can be held to account in court as a principal offender.
This means that not only is it the world’s most serious crime for Tony Blair and Britain’s political, civil and military leaders to plan and authorise war against Iraq, but it is a serious crime for British citizens to support such a war. It is a criminal offence under Section 52 of the International Criminal Court Act for armed forces personnel to follow the illegal orders of their officers; for Police to refuse to investigate or prosecute these crimes; for manufacturers to supply weapons and armaments; for journalists to write and editors to publish pro-war articles; for Inland Revenue officials to demand tax from taxpayers; and it is even a serious crime for taxpayers to pay tax to a Government that is using it for the criminal purposes of waging war or committing genocide, crimes against humanity or war crimes.”

The full article is at www.actionagainstwar.org/legaldutytobreakthelaw.html

I suggest a good start would be to arrest the entire QI studio audience as they enter the building, only releasing those able to produce CND badges from about their persons.

Gray
67470.  Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote

Heh - very good. I suppose you might encounter some problems proving that the war was 'illegal' in court. You'd have problems finding an impartial jury, so it'd probably get thrown out...

MatC
67473.  Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote

Yes, indeed. It looks like one of those laws where the actual legal position is perfectly simple (any war launched other than in direct self-defence is illegal, therefore this is an illegal war, therefore all the above comes into effect) but you know that no court will ever actually enforce the law. There again, that's what we all said before Pinochet was arrested ...

Must remember to look up the law on ctizen's arrest; I suspect that is a subject on which I am Gen Ig, clouded by myth.

Page 1 of 1