View previous topic | View next topic

Brexit (the EU Referendum debate)

Page 656 of 660
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 655, 656, 657, 658, 659, 660  Next

barbados
1390898.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:33 am Reply with quote

Well here, and other areas of social media I visit, the importance has only ever been expressed by those with a similar viewpoint to suze, and when those that did vote to leave ask why, the despotism either to ignore the question, or to respond in a similar way to PDR

Efros
1390900.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:27 am Reply with quote

despotism??

barbados
1390909.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:46 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
despotism??

Would you believe me if I said that was an autocorrect from “response is”, iOS autocorrect is being a bit of a dick lately.

PDR
1390926.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote

It's the classic boris response - just keep repeating the lie. The bigger and more brazen the better.

Or are you suggesting that your use of the phrase "important to remoaners like yourself" was intended to mean "important to that small proportion of remoaners who are similar to Suze" rather than "important to remoaners, which you are one of"?

So you are trying to suggest it wasn't a lie, just a direct personal attack on another forum member?

The irony is that in introducing this change the Brexit Mendocracy paid a French company to design the new passport and a Polish company to manufacture them, destroying 170 jobs in the British company that previously held the contract. But then Brexit always was and always will be about ever bigger lies being defended big ever more habitual liars.

PDR

tetsabb
1390929.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote

The temptation to edit that is almost overwhelming

barbados wrote:
, iOS autocorrect is being a bit of a dick lately.

Quote:
i is being...

But that would be mean and childish.
😉

barbados
1390930.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:53 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
The temptation to edit that is almost overwhelming

barbados wrote:
, iOS autocorrect is being a bit of a dick lately.

Quote:
i is being...

But that would be mean and childish.
😉

Yes it would.
A grown up would write I am, not i is 😉

CB27
1391008.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Well here, and other areas of social media I visit, the importance has only ever been expressed by those with a similar viewpoint to suze, and when those that did vote to leave ask why, the despotism either to ignore the question, or to respond in a similar way to PDR

Please don't claim that you don't know this is a false representat5ion of the facts.

There's a difference between someone expressing the importance of something, and someone commenting on it - and you often use this argument yourself when someone reacts to one of your "questions" because it looks like you're making a comment.

I had a quick look, and in terms of passport colours, the first mention on this thread I've seen was from suze back in September 2016 when she wrote:
suze wrote:
... and the Daily Mail - which appears to be Mrs May's chief policy advisor - wants to abolish the metric system and make passports dark blue again.

Since then it's been brought up a couple of other times because of things said by right wing mouth pieces, and then when it was reported the EU were going to change their passport colour, which made the whole thing funny.

These are all different from suze or anyone else on this thread (or most places) "expressing the importance" of passport colour.

bobwilson
1391013.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote

If only Jonathon Swift were alive - watching this thread is very bizarre.

You're not even arguing about the colour of the passports (which, in itself would be trivial), but about which of you is actually arguing about the importance of the colour of the passports.

"Nobody could remember when the war began, or what it was about, or what the casualties were, or anything of significance really. The only thing on which everyone was agreed was that neither they, nor their compatriots, had been the instigators - it was someone else what dunnit"

barbados
1391024.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
barbados wrote:

Please don't claim that you don't know this is a false representat5ion of the facts.

There's a difference between someone expressing the importance of something, and someone commenting on it - and you often use this argument yourself when someone reacts to one of your "questions" because it looks like you're making a comment.

I had a quick look, and in terms of passport colours, the first mention on this thread I've seen was from suze back in September 2016 when she wrote:
suze wrote:
... and the Daily Mail - which appears to be Mrs May's chief policy advisor - wants to abolish the metric system and make passports dark blue again.

Since then it's been brought up a couple of other times because of things said by right wing mouth pieces, and then when it was reported the EU were going to change their passport colour, which made the whole thing funny.

These are all different from suze or anyone else on this thread (or most places) "expressing the importance" of passport colour.

I do apologise, I wasn’t aware that you kept a detailed record of my online activity. I’ll check with you in future what my circle of acquaintances share in future to avoid confusion.

For the record, the first I was aware that the passport colour change was a “thing” was when Julian Knight raised the question in July 2016. Not sure where that fits in with your accurate diary of my internet activity - maybe you could check for me?

CB27
1391051.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:27 am Reply with quote

Again, twisting facts to promote a lie.

You reacted to a discussion here that mentioned passport colour, then claimed that it was an obsession of "remoaners" (because, hey why not insult people for no reason) and started your post "Well, here" before putting an extra qualifier about elsewhere.

Now you mention Julian Knight, who voted to remain, but has since backed Brexit, so how he fits into this narrative of yours about people who are "remoaners" I don't know.

bob, I agree with you, it's gotten silly to argue about the argument, but when someone is lying I think it's worth calling them out on it, even when it's a pattern used to avoid the discussion itself.

The discussion was about how we've benefitted from Brexit, and because of a throwaway line about passport colours it was an excellent tool to derail the discussion and avoid facing the truth.

barbados
1391068.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote

Why is the throwaway comment about the passport colour not the thing that has derailed the conversation?
It is, and always has been completely irrelevant to anything to do with leaving the EU.
When Julian knight raised the subject, it was relevant- it was (from memory)in a select committee relating to the logistics of leaving the EU, what has it got to do with the conversation here and now?

PDR
1391070.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:39 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Why is the throwaway comment about the passport colour not the thing that has derailed the conversation?
It is, and always has been completely irrelevant to anything to do with leaving the EU.

If you really think that then you're even dafter than we thought (and that's a heck of an achievement).

PDR

Jenny
1391074.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:49 am Reply with quote

If it was clearly a throwaway comment, then it wasn't really worth following up on, was it?

barbados
1391086.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
If it was clearly a throwaway comment, then it wasn't really worth following up on, was it?

Unless of course there is an interest in the reasoning behind the comment, in which case surely the thing to do is question it?

Brock
1391089.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote

I have only one question arising from this discussion:

From where does bobwilson's quote in post 1391013 derive? It sounds familiar, but Google draws a blank. It can't be from Swift, surely - he didn't use contractions like "dunnit", did he?

Page 656 of 660
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 655, 656, 657, 658, 659, 660  Next