View previous topic | View next topic

Brexit (the EU Referendum debate)

Page 386 of 397
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 385, 386, 387 ... 395, 396, 397  Next

Zziggy
1289547.  Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
Bondee wrote:
I don't. I read it on Twitter this morning.

Hey, do you follow me? That was one of mine!

I SEE NOW THAT LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE STOLEN MY FUNNY JOKE cannot believe this shit

Bondee
1289549.  Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
Bondee wrote:
I don't. I read it on Twitter this morning.

Hey, do you follow me? That was one of mine!

It may well have been you! It was a retweet that appeared in my timeline, but I can't remember who RT'd it.

suze
1289565.  Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
(No) confidence vote next?

TBH, probably not. Nobody wants a general election in August, which there would have to be if the government fell between now and Parliament breaking up for the summer holidays next Friday.

In any case, even if Jeremy Corbyn did put a motion of no confidence, he couldn't win it without the support of a proportion of Tory/DUP MPs. While those people may not all be in love with Mrs May, they are not inclined to do him any favours either.

I suppose there is a scenario where Boris puts a motion of no confidence from the back benches, but he'd probably be expelled from the Conservative Party were he to do it and it seems unlikely.

What is rather more likely is that there will be an internal challenge to Mrs May's position as party leader and hence Prime Minister. Some correspondents think that the required 48 requests for a leadership contest may already be in place - but even if there were a contest now, the general feeling seems to be that Mrs May would win it.

I suppose the nuclear option is that Mrs May might throw her hands in the air and walk away into the sunset muttering "Fuck this for a game of soldiers". At the present time that would be a horrible dereliction of duty, but it's more or less what Harold Wilson did in 1976. The Queen didn't try to stop Mr Wilson then and so she wouldn't try to stop Mrs May now, but all the same I can't see it happening.

crissdee
1289568.  Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Mrs May might throw her hands in the air and walk away into the sunset muttering "Fuck this for a game of soldiers".

Tbh, I couldn't really blame her if she did. She walked into the job of making something she didn't vote for happen, she is surrounded by awkward twats who seem to want to make the job even harder, and it is becoming apparent that the job may actually be impossible.

dr.bob
1289591.  Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:29 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I suppose the nuclear option is that Mrs May might throw her hands in the air and walk away into the sunset muttering "Fuck this for a game of soldiers". At the present time that would be a horrible dereliction of duty, but it's more or less what Harold Wilson did in 1976.

It's also what David Cameron did in 2016. Or was that more of an "Oh no, I've fucked this up completely. I'll just let someone else sort out this godawful mess."

In other news, Boris Johnson's former boss at the Torygraph, Max Hastings, has published a pretty withering assessment of the man. Choice quotes include:

Quote:
He is a man of remarkable gifts, flawed by an absence of conscience, principle or scruple.

Quote:
He seems to deserve every possible success as a journalist and entertainer. Should he ever achieve his towering ambition to become Prime Minister, however, a signal would go forth to the world that Britain has abandoned any residual aspiration to be viewed as a serious nation.

Efros
1289592.  Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote

That last quote could be applied to just about every current and past member of this cabinet.

dr.bob
1289594.  Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 am Reply with quote

Nice quote from JK Rowling on twitter last night:

Quote:
This is what happens when you have men in government who've been raised from birth to believe it's someone else's job to clean up after them. They throw tantrums when they finally make a mess no-one can fix.

tetsabb
1289599.  Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote

May asked that we vote for 'strong and stable government ' and not a coalition of chaos.
Glad we got that straight.

GuyBarry
1289605.  Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote

The North West Leicestershire MP Andrew Bridgen is the first Tory reported to have submitted a letter declaring no confidence in Theresa May:

http://talkradio.co.uk/news/andrew-bridgen-mp-submits-letter-declaring-no-confidence-theresa-may-18071027072#1HFiqCs2epU0sqdf.99

Jenny
1289630.  Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote

It's not often I agree with the Torygraph, but that Max Hastings piece is spot on.

Spud McLaren
1289640.  Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote

More loose threads appearing -

2 Tory vice-chairs resign over May's Brexit "compromise"

suze
1289642.  Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
It's also what David Cameron did in 2016. Or was that more of an "Oh no, I've fucked this up completely. I'll just let someone else sort out this godawful mess."

D'oh! It is of course precisely what Mr Cameron did, but I'd clearly chosen to forget of his existence!

Spud McLaren
1289701.  Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
The North West Leicestershire MP Andrew Bridgen is the first Tory reported to have submitted a letter declaring no confidence in Theresa May
“Never have so many campaigned for so long and so hard for so little,” he told Reuters.

Well, I completely agree. Admittedly that would have been my position no matter what the outcome, but still, nice to see a Brexiteer coming round to my point of view.

Alexander Howard
1289885.  Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote

It's getting like a breakfast meal where you invite guests, and start boiling the eggs while they sit waiting around the table. The guests don't want to have the eggs, they don't like eggs, but that was the family decision.

Then a family argument breaks out about whether to have soft-boiled eggs or hard-boiled. The guests are bemused - this is their chance to put you off having the eggs at all. The head of the household insists that breakfast means breakfast and eggs is eggs, which does not resolve anything.

In the meantime the eggs are still boiling and you realise that now you have no choice - it is going to be a very, very hard breakfast that no one wanted. But it is too late.

The alternative offered to you by the guests though is snails in garlic and rather than that I'm damned well going to eat that egg even if I break my teeth on it.

dr.bob
1289895.  Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote

Snails essentially taste of nothing and serve only as a medium to deliver delicious garlic butter into your gob. Yum! Yes please!!

Insisting on opting for a horribly overcooked egg that's indigestible, not fit for purpose, and clearly going to cause serious damage just because you're afraid of something that's a bit foreign is, well, entirely in character, I guess.

Page 386 of 397
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 385, 386, 387 ... 395, 396, 397  Next