View previous topic | View next topic

Meat

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

tetsabb
67641.  Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote

On the subject of beavers, I play a lot of online backgammon (not for real money).
When a double is offered, there is the option of a 'beaver', which is to redouble. One can then 'raccoon', to redouble the double.
I have searched the Interweb for an explanation of the origin of this phrase, but have found none. Any offers?

How about that? No smut!

Gray
67654.  Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote

A further double is called an 'otter', although I can find no sources either, other than the tempting clue that the word 'beaver' is from a doubling up of the word bhru-bhru, meaning 'brown brown'.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=beaver

swot
67673.  Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard of fruitarians? They're like vegetarians, but they don't eat vegetables. I haven't a clue why, but I suspect celebrities may be involved. I had to do some research about vegetarianism in school a few years ago, and I wanted to know if it's actually true.

Celebaelin
67685.  Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote

Yep, an ex-girlfried who was alredy veggie wanted to be fruitarian but apparently you have to be a veggie for some years to aclimatise before trying. Don't hold with it m'self.

Quaintly Ignorant
67686.  Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote

I should imagine they can perform certain tasks through the eye of certain needles.

Linda
67728.  Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote

Isn't there a branch of buhdist monks (I know forget what they're called now) that only eat fruit that has fallen from trees so they don't harm anything living? I don't know what they do about the insect life that must be living in these fruit.

Linda

djgordy
67745.  Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote

You may be thinking of the Jains.

laidbacklazyman
67746.  Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote

They say that the the thing most likely to make a veggie go back to meat is a bacon sarnie, something to do with it smelling how it tastes that makes them irresistable.

I actually used to work for a jewish man that enjoyed one every now and then, which was quite embaressing when his mother in law would turn up un announced while I was round the cafe getting breakfast

tetsabb
67771.  Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:12 am Reply with quote

Speaking as someone who has not eaten 'landmeat'* for over 20 years, I will confess that the smell of bacon (especially smoked) is still very appealing, as is the smell of a barbecue. When invited to a barby, I take Quorn sausages -- yum!

lblm's story of the Jewish chap puts me in mind of the joke about the Catholic priest and a rabbi in a train carriage.
They get to chatting about their beliefs, and get onto the subject of taboos.
The rabbi confesses that he did have some pork and prawns at a barbecue and enjoyed them.
He asks if the priest has ever broken the ceibacy rule.
The priest finally admits that he did have a brief tumble with his housekeeper.
The rabbi smiles, strokes his beard, and says,
"Better than pork, isn't it?"

*As previously stated, I enjoy seafood.I also wear a leather jacket and shoes, but hey, if people are eating the insides, let's not waste the outsides!

Me
72375.  Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of fruitarians? They're like vegetarians, but they don't eat vegetables. I haven't a clue why, but I suspect celebrities may be involved. I had to do some research about vegetarianism in school a few years ago, and I wanted to know if it's actually true.

Yeah we've got fruitarians over here, they're a sub-branch of the raw-food set. I did it for a while, but I couldn't hack winter without steak and roast lamb. They tend to be an extremely healthy and clear-skinned lot, but the ones I worry about are the breath-air-ians. They believe that if you live healthy and pure, think good thoughts, and care for your soul, you can with practice sustain yourself purely on the nourishing properties of fresh air. It has to be fresh air though, and loads of peace and quiet, so no good in the cities. They get very thin and very tired and then die, so I guess it must be very difficult keeping the thoughts as pure and the soul as clean and serene as necessary.

djgordy
72377.  Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quote

Me wrote:
fruitarians

Frugivores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaazy
73579.  Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be an accepted term - I've also come across fructarian, which got 1,940 Google hits as compared to 134,000 for 'fruitarian'.

Then there's:

Fructivore (1,070)

Frugivore (thanks djgordy) (77,800)

Me
73667.  Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote

www.fruitarian.com/

Results 1 - 10 of about 134,000 for fruitarian (google)

Fruitarian Universal Network < http://hem.fyristorg.com/fruitarian/ >

Definition
fruit·ar·i·an (frū-tār'ē-ən)
n.

One whose diet includes fruits, seeds, and nuts but no vegetables, grains, or animal products.

[Blend of FRUIT and (VEGET)ARIAN.]

(Answers.com)

swot
73705.  Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:09 am Reply with quote

I know I should be open-minded about such things, live and let live and all that, but honestly those people are just weird. Dammit, stop bleating about how carrots have rights and eat a pie!

Flash
73711.  Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote

They may well be weird for all I know, but from a quick look at that website the idea that carrots have rights does not appear to be any part of their position - they mostly just say that fruit's a good diet.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next