View previous topic | View next topic

Messing with Your Mind

Page 1 of 1

JainCK
1175713.  Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote

Hi this is my first time on any kind of forum and I have to say that I find Qi so delightful--I was inspired to take a leap and join the forum. I enjoyed the Messing with Your Mind program, hugely.
I wanted to expand on the comment Tommy Tiernan made about cows and mushrooms.
Amanita Muscara is a hallucinogenic mushroom. Anyhow, cattle in the Amercas would be more likely to eat jimson/loko weed. It has alkaloids in it and the cattle literally go loko or crazy.
Also, moose eat the roots of the waterlilies that grow in the lakes, ponds, and sloughs in the wild here and those particular roots are mighty hallucinogens. The moose graze under the water and tear up the roots from the mud. It's why the moose have such interesting nostrils (seal up tight so no water gets up their noses). I would reckon that they are fairly high most of the time and that is their ground state of being.
With respect to the witches and the Maleus Maleficarum--the broomstick would have been inserted into either the vagina or the anus along with a wax ball of belladonna and mushrooms. Having said that using a broomstick instead of a vacuum cleaner would make more sense--although a lot of nurses and doctors in Emergency have many interesting stories about vacuum cleaners and persons.
The use of ergot caused the condition known as St. Vitus' Dance. The animal or person who had ingested it would go mad and then their limbs would fall off from gangrene. So not the best thing to use on your broomstick. In any case, thanks for being there. This is probably the first program I have seen where I can actually understand a lot of the topics. And it's really funny. Cheers. JainCK

Jenny
1175910.  Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote

Hi JainCK and welcome to the forums :-) We do have a couple of other Canadians here, though the one from BC now lives in Kent.

tetsabb
1175914.  Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Welcome JainCK.
I like the idea of moose spending most of their time smashed out of their minds. Makes me wonder if this is so for any other animals.
I do remember seeing some film long ago of animals in Africa that drank from a pool into which fruit had fallen: they appeared to get drunk. The film crew went back the next day to record (from a distance) hungover elephants.

franticllama
1175929.  Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote

That may result in a klaxon for Tets.
Someone has calculated the amount on average an elephant would need to drink to get tipsy. That amount is 1.9 liters of ethanol. Or about 27 liters of marula juice.
Here's the article describing it.

It's a lovely story but its not got that much basis in fact unfortunately.

franticllama
1175930.  Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Hi JainCK :) Welcome to the forum

suze
1175948.  Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote

Hi JainCK.

I'm the British Columbian that Jenny mentions, but I've lived in England since 1998. I hope all is well on Vancouver Island!

JainCK
1175954.  Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
Thanks for your welcome and thanks franticlama for the article dispelling the myth on drunken elephants. Makes sense that they wouldn't eat rotten fruit--although looking at life for the elephant nowadays--getting drunk might be just the thing. A little escape from horrible reality.
I have seen drunken birds. They eat the fruits left on the trees--crab apples and rowan berries and if it is in the winter they are often frozen to death by morning.
I had some friends whose beagle had a great fondness for champagne. That is if she found any left around.
It will take me a while to explore and get used to this. I am a dweeb when it comes to technology.
Suze you have been in the UK for almost twenty years! I find this place very special. Life here on the Island is very fine. I am lucky to be here.
Cheers,
JainCK

suze
1175959.  Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Glad to hear that things are good on the island.

I come from the big city the other side of the Georgia Strait, and since I spent far too many years of my life at UBC I spent plenty of time looking out over the water!

To cut a long story short, I came to England in 1998 for work, not necessarily intending to stay more than a few years. But then I met the man who is by now my husband, so it looks like I'm staying!

Feel free to explore our little corner of the Internet. There is a variety of food and beverage options, and just maybe the ghosts of some forum members past ...

Page 1 of 1