View previous topic | View next topic

Morepork and Tasmania

Page 1 of 1

Was Stephen incorrect in terming the morepork solely as the Tasmanian owl while using the New Zealand term for it?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Morepork is used to describe the bird in Tasmania
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

Samaragsd
1172080.  Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote

Just been watching QI, Series M, Episode 11 (menagerie) and saw that "Morepork" was identified as a Tasmanian owl. Although not entirely incorrect it was not entirely correct either. This is because the morepork is present both in Tasmania and in New Zealand. In addition to this, the naming to describe the bird used was also slightly incorrect.

In Tasmania, the morepork is more commonly known as boobook as I understand it with countless other names and is not commonly referred to as "morepork".

In New Zealand, however, morepork is known as morepork or ruru (Māori name for morepork). Thus, in the context in the show, Mr Stephen Fry made it appear as if this bird is found only in Tasmania (Australia) and not in New Zealand as well as not making it clear about the naming surrounding the bird - it is a bit odd using the name used in a different country to describe a bird in a different country. I see it as referring to flip flops as Jandals or Thongs in the UK when, even though they are the same same, it is perceived as incorrect in the place of usage.

Jenny
1172214.  Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote

Hi Samaragsd and welcome to the forums :-)

Peter Anthony
1296848.  Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Hi Samargsd, Please see my post on same subject of 28-09-2018. I had not seen your post before submitting mine, did not know the same bird lived in New Zealand also. Most interesting. Still trying to find a way to send my picture of the Tawny Frogmouth to the blog. It's very cute... Cheers

Page 1 of 1