View previous topic | View next topic

Mondegreens

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Flash
7987.  Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:13 pm Reply with quote

I bought an Unwin CD recently ("Rotatey Diskers With Unwin") and while I laughed like a drainers, oh yes, I have to say that it passed completely over the head top and scalpicolds of the teeny-agers in this householders, oh the folly. And they completely mis-undercomprehended its formerly populode.

But, to revert to the Englode for a momentary, I do think he would have been an excellent guest on the TV show, and the sound guys agree with me (Unwin was a BBC sound man originally).

djgordy
34698.  Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:31 am Reply with quote

Sapientum wrote:
I think the show to which raindancer refers was My Word.

My top 3 misheard or just poorly interpreted song lines and titles are:

1) The Big Horse song.
    Maybe its Big Horse I'm a Londoner.

2) My Pimple Hurts
    My Simple Heart.

3) Go and get Stuffed
    Going Get's Tough

Let's not forget that classic by the Jam "Eating Trifles".

Celebaelin
34700.  Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:38 am Reply with quote

And who can forget the Police classic "Sue Lawley"?

I feel Sue Lawley.

(So Lonely)

grimwig
98480.  Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote

I remember BBC RADIO 2 dj Ken Bruce deliberately introducing the song Sad Sweet Dreamer as they seemed to sing it- Septicaemia

Let's not forget that he was the man who said on National Census week "If you are having trouble filling out your form here's John Denver on the subject" cue Annie's song 'you fill out my senses....'

feynmanMH42
107313.  Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote

Anyone heard of animutation?

It was invented by a 14 year old genius named Neil Cicierega; I happen to have correspondence with Neil himself through email and a forum. He's now 20 years old and perhaps more famous for his music as Lemon Demon (his most famous song being Ultimate Showdown): www.ultimateshowdown.org

But animutation contains more mondegreens than you can shake a stick at.

"TV says donuts are high in fat, kazoo."
"Found a hobo in my room."
"It's princess Leia, the yodel of life, give me my sweater back or I'll play the guitar."

Yoda
107366.  Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:33 am Reply with quote

Further to Commanders post 7859 of this thread - way back in the day 16 Jul 2004 - 10.52 hrs precisely - on the Toyota Starrion as an example of misheard-isms resulting in a badging error, I would like to offer another.

When I served Queen and Country in Her Majesties Royal Air Force, a constant debate raged on the whether the following was an urban myth or not....

29 Squadron has for a number of years had Roman Numerals on the Tail of its aircraft. The story goes that the RAF Painter tasked with adding this essential piece of art to the tail of a number of aircraft, asked what the 'art' was to look like. He was told, 'its 29 in Roman Number Mate, init.' 'What do they look like?' he asked. 'Its 2 X's followed by one X, mate', his helpful adviser replied. To this day, the 29 Squadron aircraft have been adorned with XXX. Which, I guess, from the original painter and dopers (maybe a clue there m'thinks) point of view read as XX 1X, instead of XXIX.

Yoda

Jenny
107426.  Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote

Excellent story - and welcome to you, Yoda :-)

Frances
112142.  Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote

I've often wondered why people in 'The Professionals', on being shown [briefly] a card with 'CI5' on it, never asked, 'So what is this C 15 then?'

cabs
112143.  Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote

They thought they were being sold blank tapes.

'yorz
890897.  Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote

I had a cup of coffee at a friend's place this morning. I knew she had a canasta session last night, which is why I asked her, "Did it get late?".
She looked at me aghast and said, "Excuse me?!"
And honestly, I hadn't asked her whether she did get laid.

Sadurian Mike
890909.  Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote

Frances wrote:
I've often wondered why people in 'The Professionals', on being shown [briefly] a card with 'CI5' on it, never asked, 'So what is this C 15 then?'

That reminds me of a cautionary tale told by my Secuurity Studies lecturer. I have no idea if this is true, but it should be if it isn't. The lecture was stressing the importance of Communication as opposed to simply forwarding information.*

Anyhoo, a US airforce ground unit were told by posted memo that they would be working with MI6 on a particular operation. Sure enough, at the appointed time they all turned up with their M16 rifles ready.

*In other words, the message must be both transmitted and understood for true communication.

Jenny
891053.  Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote

How nice to see this thread resurrected.

mckeonj
891068.  Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote

Gladly the cross-eyed bear

Strawberry
891069.  Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote

Frances mentioned that on page 1.

lemme
891075.  Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote

'He's well fed on Mackeson' (His welfare is my concern)

Hollies - He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother'

For younger readers Mackeson is a milk stout - a sweet dark beer once thought to be very nutritious and given to nursing mothers.

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next