View previous topic | View next topic

A Moose is not an Elk

Page 1 of 1

esther16
1170794.  Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote

I feel the need to point out that moose is not the North American word for elk as Stephen said in episode 11 of series m. They are in fact two different animals.

American Elk (Cervus canadensis) aka Wapiti

Moose (Alces alces)

Big Martin
1170805.  Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote

Ah, but in the context he mentioned it, they are. A Eurasian E!k IS Alces Alces so is the same thing as a North American Moose. In America the name Elk got applied to a different animal.

Alfred E Neuman
1170807.  Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote

So a moose may not be an elk but an elk might be a moose?

gruff5
1171058.  Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote

can't be many (any others?) large wild animals on both continents that are the same species

tetsabb
1171064.  Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
can't be many (any others?) large wild animals on both continents that are the same species

Homo sapiens?

suze
1171252.  Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Rangifer tarandus.

The European reindeer and the North American caribou are the same species, although there are a dozen subspecies.

Zziggy
1171358.  Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote

Brown bears?

suze
1171487.  Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Yes indeed. Ursus arctos in Europe as in North America, but again there are a dozen subspecies.

Arctos is of course the Greek word for a bear, and the Arctic is so called because there are bears there. But the bears found at the Arctic are not Ursus arctos so much as Ursus maritimus.

annebn
1174113.  Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Grey wolf (Canis lupus) is also the same species in both continents. Again, possibly with several different subspecies.

Zziggy
1174257.  Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote

Oh yes. The grey wolf was the most widespread species in the world, but now it's the red fox.

CharliesDragon
1174417.  Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote

I thought it was the rat? *Quick googling* More specifically, the brown rat.

At least if we count "most widespread" as "inhabitating the most countries/areas/continents," the brown rat seems to have the red fox beaten according to Wikipedia's map. The rat is all over South-America and Africa, the red fox doesn't seem to have conquered even Mexico, and only a tiny strip of northern Africa.

Zziggy
1174486.  Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Oh well. I was just parroting what I saw in a nature documentary. Perhaps it was talking specifically about carnivores. Or perhaps it was just wrong! I always thought that Chris Packham looked a bit shifty.

thor214
1265078.  Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Domestic dog is a subspecies of Canis lupus. I'm not sure of anywhere on Earth with rats where some breeding population of dogs doesn't exist (whether grey wolves in the wild, or captive in the case of domestic dogs [even then, feral dogs exist in these places, too]). Come to think of it, there are a few remote and isolated islands where rats have actually landed from ships, so that may make the difference, here; especially with the next candidate.

Felis silvestris (domestic cat subspecies and Near Eastern Wildcat included) is also among the most successful/destructive (in terms of native songbird decimation) invasive species in the world and the second most popular pet after the domestic dog. This includes desert-adapted breeds, cold-weather-adapted breeds, and the generic domestic shorthair. Again with the previous rat caveat in the dog paragraph, cats wouldn't be introduced purposely in these places after accidental rat infestation due to their larger ecological impact on the sorts of species that could be predated by rats (flightless birds; non-fearing small mammals, birds, and reptiles; etc)

Page 1 of 1