View previous topic | View next topic

Genital Plugs

Page 1 of 1

maffuadlam
1170302.  Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote

In addition to spiders, mice and rats also have genital plugs, however the plug is made by glands in the end of the penis and block off the females vagina so that only that males offspring will be carried. Indeed, when doing timed matings of rodent, you look for the plug as proof that the female has mated. Furthermore, in addition to having sex, the plug "signals" to the female that it has mated and this initiates the physiological changes to allow pregnancy. In contrast to other mammals a murine oestrus cycle is only four days so there is not enough time for the fertilized egg to "tell" the female that it is pregnant. In humans, the fertized embryo makes human Chorionic Gonodotropin upon implantation, and this signals pregnancy to the mother. The mother then stops cycling and makes a continuous amount of progesterone.

Jenny
1170401.  Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote

That's interesting - thanks maffuadlam and welcome to the forums.

CharliesDragon
1170476.  Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote

Okay, how many has thought they Youlgreaved the title of this thread only to find that it does actually say "genital plug"? Or is it just me?

Interesting information, though.

'yorz
1170479.  Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote

I actually read the first sentence as:
Quote:
In addition to spiders, mice and rats also have genital plugs, however the plug is made from glands in the end of the penis and block off the females vagina so that only that males offspring will be carried.

and was severely puzzled. Didn't know that glands could regrow after they had been used.

tetsabb
1170492.  Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote

I approached it in the expectation of there being spam promoting... errrr... thingies.... butt plugs......

Page 1 of 1