View previous topic | View next topic

Neck

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1167238.  Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Yoshiki, the front-man and drummer of the Japanese heavy metal band X (aka X Japan), has to wear a neck brace while performing because his constant head-banging has done so much damage to his neck that it could end up breaking. He said in an interview with Revolver:

Quote:
Because of the drum style I've been playing, I injured my neck. A few years ago, I had a major neck surgery. My doctor told me not to play drums anymore but I still decided to go on a tour. He said that it was suicidal to do that, but if I had to play, he told me I must at least wear a neck brace. But to be honest, I don't know how many shows I can play till it breaks. [Laughs]

CFish
1213912.  Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote

Another drummer who performed in a neck brace was Alex Van Halen, of Van Halen fame, in their 1995 Balance Tour. He had ruptured three vertebrae in his neck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Balance_%22Ambulance%22_Tour

14-11-2014
1213991.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote

Anthony Hodgkinson, Bivouac's drummer and Nirvana's whiplash dancer (Reading, 1992), wrote:
Q: Any long term effects from that head-banging?

A: Yeah, my neck. I still feel it. But in a good way. I still have that energy now, but it takes me a longer time to recover. So, unfortunately, I have to look after myself now.

Page 1 of 1