View previous topic | View next topic

Buzz Aldrin

Page 1 of 1

brackett
65808.  Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote

QUESTION

What was Buzz Aldrin’s mothers maiden name?

FORFEIT

Lightyear, Armstrong

ANSWER

Moon

Marion Moon, later to become Aldrin.

COINCIDENCE

Another interesting coincidence is that Pete Conrad, the commander of Apollo 12, and third man to stand on the moon, died on July 8th 1999 when he crashed his motorbike into a tree in the town of Ojai (pronounced O-High) in California.

The word Ojai is Chumash ( a Native American language) - it means “Moon”

INFO

Born Edwin Eugene Aldrin, Jr. he acquired the nickname “Buzz” when he was only a few months old, from his older sister Fay Ann, who was eighteen months at the time. His family called him “brother” however Fay Ann pronounced it “Buzzer”, which then eventually became Buzz.

Aldrin eventually made “Buzz” his legal first name in 1988.

The first thing that Buzz Aldrin did upon stepping on the moon was kick the dust, and watch it sweep away in great acres.

The second thing he did, while all the world was watching, was pee.

Buzz also claims that that there was a lot of farting going on in the ship, as the hydrogen bubbles in the water supply to rehydrate food made them gassy, giving the ships interior a “considerable fragrance”

Buzz and Neil stood on the moon an hour later than expected, mainly because having eaten some gas inducing food, they didn’t know where to stow their dirty dishes, as it was never apart of the practice routine.

Other delays included the fact that they couldn’t get their space suits on (the gloves in particular being most troubling) and they couldn’t open the door to the Eagle.

Buzz Aldrin conducted the first ever moon communion while on the moon. In his personal preference kit he had with him two small packages given to him by his Presbyterian minister, Reverend Dean Woodruff, back in Houston. One contained a veil of wine, the other, part of the communion bread loaf. He also had with him a small chalice for the wine, and a card with an extract from the book of John (John 15:5) written on it:

I am the vine, you are the branches,
He who abides in me, and I in him, will bear much fruit,
For apart from me, you can do nothing

Buzz wasn’t the only one to get religious while on the moon - Jim Irwin, the 8th man on the moon, purported to have heard God whispering to him at the foot of the Apennine Mountain, leaving NASA for the church upon his return.

Edgar Mitchell claimed to have experienced a “flash of understanding” in which he switched on to the universe.

ADDITIONAL INFO

NASA’s launch reliability rate was 99.9 per cent. The Apollo 11 Saturn V rocket contained close to six million parts. Which means that even with NASA’s astounding 99.9 per cent reliability rate, roughly 6,000 things could be expected to go wrong on a good flight.

The Nepalese believe that their dead reside on the moon. When Stu Roosa, of Apollo 14, visited there, he was bombarded with constant questioning along the lines of “You didn’t happen to see my grandmother up there did you?”

SOURCES

First Man: The Life of Neil Armstrong, The first Authorised biography, by: James R. Hansen

Moondust, by: Andrew Smith

Page 1 of 1