View previous topic | View next topic

You can't whistle and hum at the same time.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

alpha1999
1165126.  Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote

In the introduction to 1234 facts it is stated that you can't whistle and hum at the same time, I disagree, I can do it, and with help, I have taught others to as well.

Posital
1165127.  Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quote

+1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ee_dHtQEds

'yorz
1165147.  Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote

Two different tunes? That's clever.

Spud McLaren
1165243.  Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote

I can definitely whistle a tune and hum a drone. I've often thought that it ought to be possible to train myself to whistle/hum a tune and a proper harmony, but keep forgetting to set about it on the rare occasions I'm completely alone.

crissdee
1166868.  Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote

I'm another whistler/hummer. Perhaps we should come up with a name?

Whummers? Histlers? Perhaps not that last one.........

crissdee
1166869.  Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote

I'm another whistler/hummer. Perhaps we should come up with a name?

Whummers? Histlers? Perhaps not that last one.........

nitwit02
1166902.  Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote

In this part of the world, 'hummer' can a quite different connotation.

Cogito, ergo sumtin'
1272424.  Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote

Mallington Barnes, wayyy back in the 1890's, reported that the Salawaian goatherds of Queen Edith's Land (as it then was) could:

"whistle tunefully whilst accompanying themselves with a sort of singing hum. This was a skill learned in boyhood by these ruggd [SIC] people, and it was not uncommon for them to whistle one tune whilst humming an accompaniment in harmony. Indeed, they would oftentimes whistle a sharp call to urge on their goats, whilst continuing to hum a tune uninterrupted and without wavering from its melody. Much amusement was had by all as several of the elders tried unsuccessfully to teach this skill to my bearers and I."

M.F.B. even made a phonograph recording of this remarkable feat, but sadly lost both the recording and most of his equipment in a misadventure shortly thereafter.

Jenny
1272548.  Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure why, but when I read that story, I visualize Mr Barnes as Michael Palin dressed in a pith helmet as a Great British Explorer. Great story. Welcome to the forums Cogito (if I may be permitted to so abbreviate your name) :-)

suze
1272568.  Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote

Queen Edith was the part-time wife of Edward the Confessor. At one point he sent her to a nunnery for a year, and some historians believe that the marriage was never consummated. She was also the brother of his successor Harold II Godwinson.

But this was not an age of exploration, and none of the sources at my disposal are aware of a Queen Edith's Land. Neither are they aware of the eccentrically British Mallington Barnes, much as he undoubtedly did wear a pith helmet.

Is his story from the Boy's Own Paper*, or something of the kind?

* sic. Maybe that isn't where the apostrophe should be, but it is where it is.

Cogito, ergo sumtin'
1272575.  Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome, Jenny, and feel free to abbreviate :-)

Suze, it is a sad fact that Mallington Barnes has largely been forgotten by history, as has the sultry and jungular region once known as Queen Edith's Land. Much of this collective (and elective) amnesia stems from an event so shameful that it is perhaps best forgotten, save to mention that Barnes' role in it was purely inadvertent. That he was unfairly shunned by polite society upon his return to England is generally believed to be the reason he so quickly departed - never to be seen again - on the ill-starred mission to find the Dwarf Giant Fruitbat of Selangor.

Spud McLaren
1272577.  Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
some historians believe that the marriage was never consummated.
How odd. I wonder why?
Quote:
She was also the brother of his successor Harold II Godwinson.
That'd be it.

suze
1272599.  Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote

D'oh!

Once we've established that Edith was actually Harold's sister, does this get us anywhere nearer knowing why Edward married her and then didn't make babies with her?

Not really. Some have claimed that the marriage was only ever contracted for political convenience, and that she'd already told Edward that he was the last man on Earth with whom she would lie. Some have claimed that Edward had taken monastic orders and was pledged to continence, some have claimed that he was gay.

None of these claims really stacks up, and the most likely explanation is that they did indeed lie together as man and wife but one or other of them couldn't make babies. But if it had been that, why didn't he go all Henry VIII on her and dump her for a younger model who might bear him an heir? (Or if it was he who was firing blanks, look the other way while someone else helped with the process.)

There are two reasonable explanations. One is that his religious convictions didn't allow it. The other is that he always intended for William of Normandy to be his heir - but that his wife then convinced him of her brother's stronge claim.

Jenny
1272727.  Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote

While Google appears to be unaware of the existence of Mallington Barnes or Queen Edith's Land, an enjoyable ride along the wild-goose chase that our new friend Cogito sent me on actually did bring up some interesting stuff about Edith Swan-Neck, or ‘Eddeva the Fair’ as she was often called, landowner in and around Cambridge in 1066 and common-law wife of Harold II.

Interested parties can read the story of a Saxon king, his lover, and a Cambridge suburb here.

This paper claims that Edward made a vow of celibacy, which would certainly account for the non-consummation of his marriage.

Spud McLaren
1276068.  Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote

Not whistling, exactly, but this is as clear and accurate a demonstration of the art as I've heard.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next