View previous topic | View next topic

Stephen Fry Leaving?

Page 1 of 1

thelicencee
1164065.  Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote

Hi all QI fans.

I have heard that Stephen Fry has announced he is LEAVING QI at the end of the current series.

Would someone please let me know if this is TRUE.

QI will NOT be the same without him, his knowledge,excellent wit and 'banter' with Alan Davis make the show the 'brilliant show it is'.

Who has all this and more to step into his shoes???

Lets hope its NOT TRUE.

Alfred E Neuman
1164076.  Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:45 am Reply with quote

Google is your FRIEND!!

Jenny
1164118.  Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote

Yes it is true thelicencee - but Sandi Toksvig is taking over and we think she'll be fantastic.

thelicencee
1164188.  Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote

I beg to differ. I have recently watched the 'new series' of 15 - 1, which had Adam Hills as the initial presenter, but then Sandi Toksvig took over the regular show.

Unfortunately she was NOT a very engaging presenter, I do not rate her and do not believe her knowledge, wit is anywhere near that of Stephens and fail to see how she will be able to engage in the same 'banter' with Alan Davis or is he being replaced as well???

Jenny
1164190.  Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote

No, Alan will still be there. Give Sandi a chance - she's been an excellent panellist.

'yorz
1164193.  Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote

I am not a fan of her, either. But indeed, give her a chance. If the ratings drop, they can always opt for the HIGNFY-format. That worked a treat.

thelicencee
1164195.  Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Sorry Jenny, She may be, as you say 'she's been an excellent panellist.'

However its a long way from being a 'panellist' to 'hosting' a show like QI, where just being 'funny' is NOT enough and I do NOT find Sandy even the slightest bit funny.

Another excellent program that will lose a 'large number of followers' exactly the same as TOP GEAR.

And yorz what does this mean:: If the ratings drop, they can always opt for the HIGNFY-format. That worked a treat. ?????????????

'yorz
1164200.  Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote

When Angus Deayton was sacked as presenter of Have I Got News For You, a new format was introduced: every week a new presenter.
Just google it. You'll see that in the beginning quite a few new faces had a go, but now it's a small group of very capable/funny/intelligent people who take turns.

Spud McLaren
1164381.  Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote

thelicencee wrote:
Another excellent program that will lose a 'large number of followers' exactly the same as TOP GEAR.
Well, it's not exactly the same as Top Gear - QI is, indeed, an excellent programme.

Waznewz
1178210.  Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote

thelicencee wrote:
Sorry Jenny, She may be, as you say 'she's been an excellent panellist.'

However its a long way from being a 'panellist' to 'hosting' a show like QI, where just being 'funny' is NOT enough?

I could not agree more. Takes a special personality to not come across as an annoying know-it-all, when telling the sometimes long stores, about the facts, and yet still be able to 'control' a panel of, what sometimes is a kindergarden on drugs.

I like toksvig, ultra dry humor, but seems a bit stiff for this.
Im gonna hope for the best, fingers crossed ☺️

PDR
1178216.  Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:24 am Reply with quote

Well Steviebabes has not been convicted & sentenced to hosting the QI programme for the rest of his natural life (of all the things he's done none of them deserve that kind of sentence) so we have to accept that at some point one of two things would happen:

1. The show will cease to be; it will shuffle off this mortal coil and go to meet its maker. It will lie bereft of life...etc

2. The show will continue with a new host, which may even mean a slight change in style and format 9which itself is no bad thing because all formats become tired if they're static).

The "some point" is now. And I for one would like to see option 2 being attempted. Even if it doesn't work the choice to revert to option 1 is still available, which isn't true the other way around.

As for the personality of the annoying know-all being "rare" or "special" - I can provide of long list of my family, colleagues and casual acquaintances who would be more than willing to testify that there exists at least one more to their certain knowledge...

PDR

crissdee
1178251.  Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote

We should also bear in mind that, whether we want Stephen to stay or not, whether we think Sandi will do a good job or not, doesn't amount to the proverbial "hill of beans in this crazy world". It's happening, roll with the punches. 😊

IvorTheEngineer
1178367.  Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote

I will be sorry to see the fantastic Mr Fry go, he is an excellent host and has great rapport with the panellists and he is very witty, intelligent and comes over as a really nice person. Thank-you Stephen for many years of laughter on QI and good-luck for whatever your next project is.

I also cannot think of anyone better than Sandi Toksvig to take over. She was great as the host of The News Quiz on Radio 4 and QI is a very similar format to that with comedians and actors as the guests. 15-1 does not have the same level of banter that brings out her wit.

Jenny
1178432.  Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote

I agree with you, IvorTheEngineer. Welcome to the forums :-)

Confucius
1180359.  Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
thelicencee wrote:
Well, it's not exactly the same as Top Gear - QI is, indeed, an excellent programme.

Indeed, excellent being almost as good as 'old new' Top Gear.

Page 1 of 1