View previous topic | View next topic

What were the 1st words spoken from the moon?

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

djgordy
93959.  Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote

Surely the first words spoken from the moon were:

"OK, we'll bury this giant monolith here and send the other one down to those ape creatures but I doubt if any good will come of it."

Celebaelin
93981.  Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote

"I can see your house from here."

falsedog
95790.  Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote

thePhantom wrote:
to me it looks like a clangers camerawork, maybe soup dragon

Interesting that you say this on the General Ignorance thread as the Clangers wasn't set on the moon...

gerontius grumpus
95796.  Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:30 am Reply with quote

Haven't you heard the Clangers conspiracy theory?
They wanted you to believe it was set on a planet far away, but really it was the moon and the iron chicken worked for the CIA.

tomp
102135.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote

Well, I'm keeping schtum!

djgordy
102138.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Absolutely nothing about Mr Gorsky!

One of the klaxons answer is "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind".

Although Armstrong had rehearsed that line, he cocked it up when he actually got to deliver it. Therefore what he actually said - rather spoiling the sense of it - was "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".

There was a piece on this on the radio a few days ago. It turns out that Armstrong really did say "One small step for a man..." The "a" was rather obscured by static but if you listen carefully you can hear it.

dr.bob
102305.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you can hear it, no matter how carefully you listen. According to the BBC report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5398560.stm):

Quote:
But an analysis of the audio files downloaded from Nasa's website using GoldWave, a $45 (24) audio editing program, indicates that the word was spoken but not recorded by Mr Armstrong's microphone before being transmitted to the 500 million people watching the Apollo 11 mission.

Personally I'm not sure how any software could show the presence of a word that was not recorded by the microphone before being transmitted. Sounds to me like a computer nerd with some free audio software and too much time on his hands looking for something that he's desperate to find.

tigablade
466847.  Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote

falsedog wrote:
When the astronauts landed on the moon in 1969, what were the first words spoken? Answer soon...

Can't believe nobody has answered this properly.

The first words spoken on the moon were...

"This is tranquility base... The Eagle has landed".

Probably a bit late for you but hey!

Regards
Tigablade

suze
466866.  Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote

I made that very suggestion almost three years ago at post 65110 (page 1 of this thread).

But it's not so. The first words spoken from a vehicle which was on the surface of the Moon were in fact "Contact light" (spoken by Aldrin). According to NASA's official transcript, those words were spoken 102 hours, 45 minutes, and 40 seconds into the mission. Armstrong's words "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." were spoken eighteen seconds later.

bobwilson
466868.  Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Just to be pedantic - shouldn't that read
Quote:
The first words spoken by a human from a vehicle which was on the surface of the Moon were in fact

The first transmission from the moon would have been some form of binary code sent by an unmanned mission. Machines is people too :)

srn
612179.  Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote

"Contact Light" is when the 1.67m long poles on the landing gear touched the ground - I wouldn't call that the first words "on" the moon, given that the spacecraft was sitting 1.67m above the surface on a rocket motor's exhaust at the time...

dr.bob
613306.  Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote

I depends on your definition, I guess. According to the Apollo 11 Lunar Surface Journal (linked to earlier in this thread), NASA said in the mission report:

"Landing on the surface occurred at 102:45:39.9"

Which was just before Aldrin called the contact light. I guess you could argue for being "on" the moon as either when the lander first made contact, or when one of the three footpads made contact, or when all three footpads made contact, or at some other point when the lander had settled on to the surface and stopped moving. Using NASA's own definition of "landing", though, "Contact light" were the first words uttered.

Also, according to the LSJ, the probes on the landing gear were 1.73 metres long, not 1.67m.

falsedog
613869.  Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote

srn wrote:
The spacecraft was sitting 1.67m above the surface...at the time...

The landing gear surely was part of the spacecraft. Otherwise we'd have to conclude we've never landed on the moon...

falsedog
613881.  Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Just to be pedantic - shouldn't that read
Quote:
The first words spoken by a human from a vehicle which was on the surface of the Moon were in fact

The first transmission from the moon would have been some form of binary code sent by an unmanned mission. Machines is people too :)

"When the human astonauts landed on the surface of the moon in a vehicle, in 1969, what were the first words spoken?"

bobwilson
614208.  Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote

Madam I'm Adam?

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next