View previous topic | View next topic

What were the 1st words spoken from the moon?

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

QI Individual
66033.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:02 am Reply with quote

Norb wrote:
QI Individual wrote:
The famous images of an astronaut stepping off the ladder of the Lunar Module onto the surface of the Moon accompanied by the words: "A small step for man...etc." are not of Neil Armstrong of course because he was the one holding the camera when the second astronaut stepped onto the Moon (which is what we see). There was no one on the Moon yet to capture Neil Armstrong stepping onto the Moon's surface.

IIRC the camera that took those images was fixed to one of the legs of the LEM, and therefore did not require anyone to stand on the moon...

I was hoping someone would react to that one. It is one of those claims going around that I am not certain of is correct or not so it sort of fits into the General Ignorance category.

The memory I have of the images generally seen when the famous words "A small step... etc." are spoken do seem to be taken from a viewpoint that doesn't seem to come from a camera fitted to the LM. It seems to come from farther away from an angle that doesn't seem to fit a camera attached to the LM and having a view of the event that possibly could not be achieved by a camera attached to the LM. I haven't found the images I remember on the NASA site I linked to. There are other recordings that are of Neil Armstrong like the one looking down on him descending the ladder and indeed from a camera fitted to the LM but this latter one does not fit my memories of the images usually shown I mentioned. The bit about Neil Armstrong holding the camera is apart from hypothetical also unlikely of course because the camera would most likely have been standing on a tripod.

It is in itself not a completely unlikely story though because broadcasters may have felt the images of Neil Armstrong were not dramatic enough for their purposes and someone felt it was a good idea to combine the audio of Neil Armstrong with a video of Buzz Aldrin stepping onto the Moon taken with a camera Neil Armstrong placed there.

Does anyone have any additional information on this subject?

As an extra a few QI factoids:

Colonel Buzz Eugene Aldrin was born January 20, 1930 as Edwin Eugene Aldrin, Jr.
As a boy, he was given the nickname "Buzz" by his sister. She mispronounced "brother" as "buzzer", and this was shortened to Buzz. He made it his legal first name in 1988.

Aldrin's mother's maiden name was Moon.

swot
66079.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote

QI Individual wrote:
Aldrin's mother's maiden name was Moon.

Now that is nominative determinism!

Snoogans
84208.  Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:36 am Reply with quote

Norb wrote:
In a famous last words way...

What were the Last words from the surface of the moon?

I'm not sure of the exact quote - I have it written somewhere - but it's something along the lines of "Let's take this Mother outta here!" , spoken by Schmitt to his colleague as he hit the big GTFO button.

Snoogans
84211.  Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote

QI Individual wrote:
The memory I have of the images generally seen when the famous words "A small step... etc." are spoken do seem to be taken from a viewpoint that doesn't seem to come from a camera fitted to the LM. It seems to come from farther away from an angle that doesn't seem to fit a camera attached to the LM and having a view of the event that possibly could not be achieved by a camera attached to the LM. I haven't found the images I remember on the NASA site I linked to. There are other recordings that are of Neil Armstrong like the one looking down on him descending the ladder and indeed from a camera fitted to the LM but this latter one does not fit my memories of the images usually shown I mentioned. The bit about Neil Armstrong holding the camera is apart from hypothetical also unlikely of course because the camera would most likely have been standing on a tripod.

It is in itself not a completely unlikely story though because broadcasters may have felt the images of Neil Armstrong were not dramatic enough for their purposes and someone felt it was a good idea to combine the audio of Neil Armstrong with a video of Buzz Aldrin stepping onto the Moon taken with a camera Neil Armstrong placed there.

Does anyone have any additional information on this subject?

...and there openeth a very large can o'worms! - (Dons tinfoil helmet)

dr.bob
84244.  Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote

Here's a still from the TV pictures of Neil Armstrong climbing down the ladder onto the moon's surface

This was taken by a camera on one of the legs of the LM. The legs stuck out a very long way, as you can see on this picture

So, the camera must've been pointing back at the ladder to capture Armstrong as he came down. It looks about the right angle to me, especially the way that you're looking from behind the ladder, thereby obscuring the view of Armstrong slightly.

Another popular image of the moon landings is this one

This is most definitely not Armstrong on his first trip down the ladder as it's obviously taken from some way away from the LM. It's most likely Aldrin, taken by Armstrong having walked away from the LM. Either that, or it's Armstrong having gone back in and come out again (i.e. some time later in the mission) and snapped by Aldrin.

Stig
87818.  Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote

Of course, the photos were all faked ...

And no one's yet mentioned the 'Good luck Mr Gorsky' urban myth ...

suze
87834.  Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote

Oh I think they have ...

post 65107

et seq went there.

Cleverina Clogs
88013.  Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote

I know exactly what was said ... 'oh look there's a lot of aliens here!'

Celebaelin
88042.  Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote

Or perhaps "Soooo...not cheese then."

cornixt
88180.  Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote

We forgot the crackers Gromit!

Kat
92508.  Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote

Maybe the pics were taken with the camera previously sent as part of a carepackage of homemade cookies sent to the aliens living there...

thePhantom
93794.  Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quote

to me it looks like a clangers camerawork, maybe soup dragon

swot
93820.  Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote

Maybe they said 'Doesn't look a bit like a button. Dammit, Mr Spoon lied to us.'

kanie
93851.  Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSm080Pa82I&mode=related&search=

I'v found out where the camera was

swot
93951.  Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote

Aww thanks for that clip. I love Button Moon.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next