View previous topic | View next topic

What were the 1st words spoken from the moon?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

falsedog
65103.  Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote

When the astronauts landed on the moon in 1969, what were the first words spoken? Answer soon...

Saxmachine
65104.  Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote

I'm guessing they don't mention birds of prey alighting or races paces then...

Swearing seems highly probable!

djgordy
65107.  Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote

I hope it's not the oft repeated but totally false thing about Neil Armstrong saying "Good luck Mr. Gorsky".

Last edited by djgordy on Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

QI Individual
65109.  Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote

"Touch down" I'd think probably followed by something about shutting down the engines and possibly something about the amount of fuel left. Shortly after having completed these procedural matters relating to the landing process they reported back to Mission Control with the words most of us more or less know. I believe it was something like: "Houston... Tranquillity Base here.... The Eagle has landed."

I'd guess that this last line alone would have resulted in loud and unfriendly sound effects. I hope I'm in the clear on that point.

suze
65110.  Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Absolutely nothing about Mr Gorsky!

One of the klaxons answer is "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind".

Although Armstrong had rehearsed that line, he cocked it up when he actually got to deliver it. Therefore what he actually said - rather spoiling the sense of it - was "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".

But it wasn't the first utterance from the moon. He said that when he got out the boat and set foot on the moon. The first thing he said upon landing on the moon - which was after all the question - was "Houston, Tranquility here. The Eagle has landed."

Hope that wasn't the other klaxons answer, although I'm thinking it might be ...

QI Individual
65112.  Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote

The famous images of an astronaut stepping off the ladder of the Lunar Module onto the surface of the Moon accompanied by the words: "A small step for man...etc." are not of Neil Armstrong of course because he was the one holding the camera when the second astronaut stepped onto the Moon (which is what we see). There was no one on the Moon yet to capture Neil Armstrong stepping onto the Moon's surface.

QI Individual
65115.  Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote

I've checked now. I was close. Here's the full landing transcript.

It's at 102:45:40

suze
65117.  Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote

Well done QII. Looks like I'm Alan tonight ...

laidbacklazyman
65130.  Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote

I thought Neil Armstrong turned to Buzz Aldrin and said
"you know I think I left the iron plugged in"

Of course NASA deny that but they would want something "spacey" wouldn't they

Saxmachine
65143.  Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote

By looking it up, have we all just spoiled falsedog's fun?

falsedog
65717.  Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote

No not really; the answer was "contact light" in case you didn't see it. Interesting how history is tweaked slightly to be more interesting. It doesn't matter that people think the answer is "the Eagle Has landed" or Armstrong's "Giant Leap" line, which mean a whole lot more than the "right" answer.

Norb
65794.  Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote

In a famous last words way...

What were the Last words from the surface of the moon?

tetsabb
65803.  Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
What were the Last words from the surface of the moon?

Apollo 17, Schmidtt saying 'Ignition'

Of course there is the theory that the reason we have not been back to the Moon is because the astronauts encountered aliens who urged them to stay at home. If the first humans you met were mainly military American tourists toting cameras, what would your reaction be?

Norb
65807.  Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote

QI Individual wrote:
The famous images of an astronaut stepping off the ladder of the Lunar Module onto the surface of the Moon accompanied by the words: "A small step for man...etc." are not of Neil Armstrong of course because he was the one holding the camera when the second astronaut stepped onto the Moon (which is what we see). There was no one on the Moon yet to capture Neil Armstrong stepping onto the Moon's surface.

IIRC the camera that took those images was fixed to one of the legs of the LEM, and therefore did not require anyone to stand on the moon...

Feroluce
66030.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote

falsedog wrote:
When the astronauts landed on the moon in 1969, what were the first words spoken? Answer soon...

Oh! it's squishy, don't think it's cheese though.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next