View previous topic | View next topic

Origins of Chicken Tikka Masala

Page 1 of 1

rabbit
1161526.  Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote

My Book of General Ignorance (2006 Edition, pp. 28) claims that Chicken Tikka Masala was actually invented in Glasgow by Bangladeshi or Indian immigrants in the late 1960s, when in a Glaswegian restaurant, "as the legend goes, a customer asked for some gravy to go with it [his chicken tikka], the chef improvised with tomato soup, spices and cream."

While there are plenty of other interesting and supportable facts in the article, the main point---that CTM was invented in Glasgow---seems to be based only on legend. The wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tikka_masala#Origins) is far less certain. Is there any more substantial evidence? After innocently quoting the article, I am being accused by my Indian friends of trying to propagate the idea that everything was invented in the West!

I suppose this is similar to any proof of invention, where it's difficult to show that something didn't exist before a certain time and place, but it would be great to know if there is any other supporting evidence!

Thanks,

Rabbit.

Jenny
1161534.  Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote

I can't comment on chicken tikka masala, but it is well known that chow mein was invented in San Francisco by local Chinese chefs trying to cater to American tastes, and this story is sort of along the same lines.

Page 1 of 1