View previous topic | View next topic

MotoGP motorbike leaning angles.

Page 1 of 1

iamjoshkerman
1239102.  Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote

A video posted by MotoGP on YouTube explains how modern day racing motorbikes can lean to a 64 angle in a corner. An article by The Telegraph confirms this and adds that the contact surface area of the bike to the track is little more than a 50p piece. Mental when you consider the riders are travelling at speeds over 100mph during corners.

PDR
1239105.  Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote

I seriously doubt the "area of a 50p piece" claim, given that the whole concept is mased around minimising the contact area when upright (for lowest rolling resistance) and increasing it hugely when turning (for max mechanical grip).

When upright the contact area needs to be sufficient to provide the grip required to put the power down, and that will be more than a square inch or so. They need more during braking, but that is mainly achieve in the flattening of the front tyre as the bike pitches down under braking forces.

PDR

iamjoshkerman
1239106.  Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote

I found it hard to believe it too - which is why I found it so interesting. Link to original article from. Telegraph here: https://goo.gl/Z9kO8H

I did look into this some more and MotoGP say it's just under the size of a credit card. The tire composite used by Bridgestone Tyres is a closely guarded secret.

Page 1 of 1