View previous topic | View next topic

M for Miscellany

Page 1 of 1

Harwellian
1157452.  Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote

In the credits, does the reference to the Austrailian National Insect Collection indicate there's a new organisation out there, or just the old one misspelt?

Stefan Linnemann
1157458.  Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote

May I express my disappointment at the virgin schoolboy reaction of (some of) the men on the show when Ciarad mentioned the clitoris? I mean, the women have to endure them throwing penises about all the time, without batting an eyelid, but mention a female matrimonial necessity and they go all to pieces? I think she regretted bringing it up, given her reaction when Stephen mentioned ovaries near the end of the show.

And what she had to say about it was definitely quite interesting and pertinent, though some of it ended up being left unsaid, I wager.

Jenny
1157498.  Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote

Hi Harwellian and welcome to the forums. We like niggles around here :-)

PDR
1157499.  Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote

Stefan Linnemann wrote:
though some of it ended up being left unsaid, I wager.

...or possibly edited out for broadcasting purposes. It's a subject which could easily have strayed into areas which the BBC would not be prepared to put out on air.

PDR

Stefan Linnemann
1157545.  Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote

Which would be double standard in my mind, , but given the overwhelming reactions to my previous post here, I gather I'm tilting at windmills, here.

Forward, Rossinante! Chk, chk.

monzac
1157549.  Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote

I agree with you, Stefan. The reaction of the men was schoolboyish. Cariad Lloyd was quite interesting. I'd suggest that she be invited back on the panel, but I wouldn't be surprised if she couldn't be arsed.

crissdee
1157568.  Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote

You have to bear in mind that QI is to a large extent a comedy show. Sober and intelligent discussion of female anatomy has rather less "entertainment" value than the guys acting like overgrown schoolboys.

Stefan Linnemann
1157575.  Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote

I'm sure it does, but at what cost? Rhod Gilbert even went as far as trying to shut Ciarad up about "the clitoris"., I forgot the exact phrase. Sure, giggle a bit, make a quip, but at least let the woman speak unhindered. Or is it still the Victorian age?

Sure, I absolutely loved the moments when Bill, Phill or Jimmy would go into a benign schoolboy tease of the supposed upper classness of Stephen Fry,for example, or the acroplis chant, but that was not at a moment that a still half-taboo subject was broached by someone informed about the subject.

Anyway, I just needed to express my opinion on this, which I now appear to have done, trying to evoke reactions so as to hone my stance on the matter.

dr.bob
1157811.  Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Cariad Lloyd's appearance and thought she was funny and interesting (like monzac, I really hope she's invited back). I did feel a bit annoyed that, for much of the show, she seemed to struggle to get a word in edgeways, constantly being talked over by Alan and Noel.

Perhaps the childish giggling over a clitoris is something that may well change when Sandi takes over the reins.

tetsabb
1158163.  Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Hear,hear. I liked Cariad Lloyd. She was funny and informative, and I agree that some of the lads' comments meant she did not the chance to talk fully at times.
Maybe The Wonderful Ms Toksvig will be more,encouraging to female panellists

Stefan Linnemann
1158226.  Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote

After seeing the XL version, I agree it was not as bad as it seemed in the foreshortened version.

But do invite her back, please, do. Especially as she knows the difference between a vagina and a vulva.

monzac
1158228.  Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
You have to bear in mind that QI is to a large extent a comedy show. Sober and intelligent discussion of female anatomy has rather less "entertainment" value than the guys acting like overgrown schoolboys.

But it does have the word interesting in the title.

btw I thought the xl version was better, too.

Cariad Lloyd is set to appear again in episode 10 :)

Re Sandi Toksvig: Would there be comedy in her letting out a whooping gasp and fanning herself dramatically whenever male panellists mentioned their bits?

Zziggy
1158487.  Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Wow, I'm watching the XL version right now, and I really have to agree on the matter of Ciarad Lloyd being interrupted, talked over, and as for the reaction to the single word clitoris! That's actually a quite interesting point she was trying to make.

Hopefully the next time she's on will be better :)

Page 1 of 1