View previous topic | View next topic

Have you misattributed gender to QI posters?

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Zziggy
1156772.  Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
If you ever do come along to a meet-up, I'd be happy to send you a pic of the whole of me beforehand.

Ifyanowaddamean ;)

tetsabb
1156773.  Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote

That is to say, full-length, and fully clothed!!!!

Alfred E Neuman
1156781.  Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote

I've got a few forum members wrong, but I don't think I've ever mentioned anyone's supposed gender unless they've let the cat out the bag. Rather ironically I thought both Zziggy and CharliesDragon were male before realising just how wrong I'd got it.

And while it doesn't matter per se what anyone's gender is, I think if their gender is public knowledge then it makes sense to use the correct one. I don't even see that as being pedantic, just respectful.

bemahan
1156785.  Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
That is to say, full-length

*snigger*

Jenny
1156937.  Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote

I've met barbados but never met PDR yet. However, I have seen a picture of PDR. There is no physical resemblance between the two of them as far as I can see, apart from both being male.

Some posters I've met a few times - Efros, dr.bob, barbados, tets, AFB, crissdee, 'yorz, Big Martin, Neotenic, Bondee, Janet H, Sadurian Mike, Leith, Celebaelin, eggshaped, Flash, Jumping Jack and some of the other elves are the ones that spring immediately to mind, but there are undoubtedly others - please don't be offended if you are one of them!

Jenny
1156943.  Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote

Dix! I met Dix once too, and Mr Dix with her.

PDR
1156958.  Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I've met barbados but never met PDR yet.

Although we have conversed on the electric telephone.

Quote:

However, I have seen a picture of PDR. There is no physical resemblance between the two of them as far as I can see, apart from both being male.

Phew - that's a relief!

PDR

AlmondFacialBar
1156962.  Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Dix! I met Dix once too, and Mr Dix with her.

Her attachment you mean! :-D

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Zziggy
1156968.  Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
I thought both Zziggy and CharliesDragon were male before realising just how wrong I'd got it.

I think a lot of people I talk to online think I'm male to begin with.

Must be the font.

(I really don't mind though - quite the opposite - and I tend not to bother correcting people unless it makes a difference in those circumstances.)

Celebaelin
1156985.  Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
Celebaelin wrote:
Oddly a few years back I was mistaken for a lady-type-person

Ohh... Well, there's me told RIGHT NOW!

The name "Celebaelin" (like "Crissdee") has just always struck me as feminine, so the underlying assumption was there.

Celebaelin, meaning 'silver pool' as a literal translation, is quite feminine - certainly I'm the only guy I'm aware of who's put those two bits of Tolkienian Elvish together and used it as a name though I'm not sure about the Japanese anime site http://celebaelin.net/

To me celebaelin has always meant mercury/quicksilver; what others - fanfic authors, role-players and the such like - take it to mean is up to them.

RLDavies
1157028.  Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote

Now that's odd, and must be my subconscious linguistics professor at work. I don't know any Tolkien languages, and didn't know Celebaelin was taken from Elvish or anything else. But it's always triggered off vague associations with the moon or moonlight. Which is pretty darn close!

crissdee
1157069.  Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote

I had been meaning to ask where it came from and what it meant, now I know.

suze
1157078.  Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
Now that's odd, and must be my subconscious linguistics professor at work. I don't know any Tolkien languages, and didn't know Celebaelin was taken from Elvish or anything else. But it's always triggered off vague associations with the moon or moonlight. Which is pretty darn close!

Are you maybe thinking of Selene, the Greek moon goddess? The words begin similarly - or at least, they do if we pronounce the <C> of Celebaelin as /s/.

That's how I always imagined it, although I've a feeling that the man himself pronounces it as /k/.

CharliesDragon
1157100.  Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote

And then you have "celestial."

RLDavies
1157192.  Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote

I was going to mention Selene in the previous post, but thought I'd probably gone on long enough.

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next