View previous topic | View next topic

M places

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

djgordy
1156450.  Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote

Although Mam Tor is vaguely shaped like a breast, it does not get its name from this: i.e. it isn't "breast hill". It is "mother hill" because land slips have created a number of smaller, "daughter" hills around it. This is easily discoverable by a simple search....

..... or you could have just asked someone from Derbyshire.

Ian Dunn
1156468.  Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the actual scores were? Only David's was given.

annebn
1157152.  Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote

Will there not be an XL version of this episode?

Ian Dunn
1157155.  Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote

It will be on this Saturday (7th). The XL version for this Friday's episode will be on the Saturday after that (14th).

They seem to have been shifted down one episode to make way for BBC Two's one-off drama "The Dresser", although it seems stupid to do so given that QI misses a week due to Children in Need, so surely they could have just broadcast "The Dresser" during the week QI isn't on?

EDIT: My mistake, the M-Places XL edition is on the 14th. The XL edition for this week's episode is on in its normal slot.

Last edited by Ian Dunn on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total

browncow
1157200.  Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote

Wilfred Pickles did not read the news in a Yorkshire accent as claimed in this edition. He read it in a fairly neutral accent but containing some northern 'features' such as a short 'a'. The only thing he said in a broad accent was at the end of the midnight news where he would finish with 'and to you in the north "Good Neet"'.

There only seems to be one extract of him reading the news commonly available which can be heard here. One day after Pearl Harbour.

The Spectator wrote after a broadcast:
"The voice of Mr. Wilfred Pickles, the latest débutante among news announcers, seemed at first too fidgety and over expressive, with tiresome pauses and emphasis; but now I rather like its northern rasp and short, sharp a's. Most of our announcers' voices are pleasant in tone and delivery (when they do not pause before their words); but why do so many of them rhyme combat with wombat? Surely it has always been "cumbat"?

Pickles 'Yorkshire' voice became well known from Have a Go.

Last edited by browncow on Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total

annebn
1157225.  Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Thank you Ian, for the information.

And I would definetly rhyme wombat and combat- but then, I'm not English.

swot
1157237.  Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote

I do to, and I am English.

suze
1157243.  Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Being North American, I dare say that some British people would accuse me of saying "kahmbat".

What with living in Denmark, annebn may never have heard what I am about to outline. What with living near Cambridge, swot is more likely to have done, especially if she knows any older people who went to public school.

Some English speakers - and most of them are older people who went to public school - speak of the West Midlands city of Cuventry, or of a police cunstable. It's becoming rare; I doubt you'd meet anyone under 60 who does it.

Cumbat is/was another example of this peculiarity, and is one of the two pronunciations listed for the word "combat" in my paper OED (an unamended reprint of the 1933 edition). It's listed second though, suggesting that even among the Oxford classes the "wombat" pronunciation was more common by 1933.

nitwit02
1157251.  Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote

To my Brit/Canadian ears, Mr. Pickles sounded absolutely fine.

Those 1930s vintage public school types with their artificial accents really get up my nose - I want to belt them smartly around the chops!

How did 'girl' become 'gel' FFS.

Jenny
1157257.  Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote

I say constable with the o sound as in honey but I say Coventry with an o sound as in dog. I've never heard combat pronounced in any other way than to rhyme with wombat.

Alfred E Neuman
1157261.  Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote

Combat and wombat rhyme for me, and constable starts the same as con artist, but Coventry is Cuventry.

browncow
1157280.  Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote

The BBC Pronunciation Guide for newsreaders from the 1928 is quite explicit that combat should be pronounced as cumbat - and for that matter that pristine should rhyme with wine and respite as if there is no e on the end.

Things change although 'combatant' is still pronounced as 'cumbatant' by a few, as well as 'respite' being 'respit'.

suze
1157291.  Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote

There ought to be a "rule" for this "turning o into u" thing, but I don't know what it is.

Everyone pronounces honey and money as "hunny" and "munny". And indeed, a similar word for a rabbit used to be "cunny"; it only changed because that was considered to sound rude.

Similarly, practically everyone pronounces woman as "wumman"; I have heard it pronounced to rhyme with "common" but it sounds strange and is rare.

It's not so universal, but I reckon that most people pronounce a straining tool as "culander". "Cuventry" is by now rather less common, and "cumbat" is vanishingly rare if it still exists at all.

No one says "wumbat". No one refers to the cunstabulary as "the cups", or opines that Ms J Lopez has a nice "buttum".

If anyone has any clue what the rule is, please enlighten us all !

Jenny
1157310.  Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Yes, I say culander not colander, and now that I've been reminded of the word I do say cumbatant, but I think that's because the stress goes on the first syllable in combat and the second in combatant. At least it does the way I say it.

Zziggy
1157343.  Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Everyone pronounces honey and money as "hunny" and "munny". ... practically everyone pronounces woman as "wumman"

Just to check: those 'u's aren't the same noise, right?

What's the rule on 'theatre' and 'waistcoat'? You pronounce them one way if you're a grandparent and another if you're a child?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next