View previous topic | View next topic

Guatemala

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1155440.  Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote

Guatemala has just elected a former TV comedian named Jimmy Morales as their president.

BBC News

Jenny
1155523.  Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote

Interesting!

Zebra57
1156281.  Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote

The UK has been electing comedians for years!

AlmondFacialBar
1156299.  Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:22 am Reply with quote

Only I wish the elected professional ones. Saw Michael Palin on his 30 Years Tour last night (highly recommended, it's a warm and fuzzy little one man show) and came away convinced that he'd be far better at the job than anyone who's actually interested in doing it. But then of course it ultimately goes back to the great philosopher Adams again:

DNA wrote:
“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

(It still feels weird to me that nowadays people have started regarding him as that in earnest. They're right of course, but it makes me feel old because I still remember that as our little fan secret.)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Page 1 of 1