View previous topic | View next topic

The Start of World War One

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1155181.  Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote

A thought struck me over the question of where the first shot was fired during World War One. Stephen said that the first shot was in Togoland on 7th August. However, I though back to an earlier QI when they said that World War Two started a lot earlier than most people think, and it is rather British-centric to assume to started in 1939 when several over related events occurred before.

Similarly, Stephen said that World War One started on 4th August 1914, but that was only the date the British joined the war. A quick look on Wikipedia reveals that the war began a week earlier on 28th July 1914, when the Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, with the Russians, the Germans and the French all declaring war before Britain did. Isn't there a chance therefore that shots were fired before Britain joined the war? After all, the reason we declared war on Germany was because they invaded Belgium.

crissdee
1155206.  Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote

The question might also be asked, was it World War One before anybody called it that? Iirc, we had a discussion about when it wast first called WW1, it could be argued that shots fired before that were not fired in WW1.

Posital
1155209.  Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote

And I suppose you can also question when a world-wide conflict actually started and stopped.

If anyone was fighting before or after - then shouldn't that also be included?

Ps:
Quote:
After all, the reason we declared war on Germany was because they invaded Belgium.
This is a gross simplification - the truth is much more interesting. If this was the only reason - we'd have stayed out imho.

Alfred E Neuman
1155340.  Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
The question might also be asked, was it World War One before anybody called it that? Iirc, we had a discussion about when it wast first called WW1, it could be argued that shots fired before that were not fired in WW1.

It wouldn't have been called World War I until World War II started.

ali
1155343.  Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote

QI wrote:
Qi: When was World War 1 first named as such?

David Mitchell: It would be the act of a pessimist to call it the "First World War that early, surely. It's gonna be some point after 1939, isn't it...
Klaxon goes off, screen displays "1939"
David Mitchell: EXCUSE ME! I think what I said, people in the box, was AFTER 1939, which may CONTAIN 1939, but does not mean...
Klaxon goes off, screen displays "After the Second World War"
David Mitchell: No no no! "After 1939" and "After the Second World War" are NOT synonymous... now this is just giving you time to type!
Klaxon goes off, screen displays "During the Second World War"
David Mitchell: Why don't you just type "Mitchell is a cock?"
Stephen Fry: I wouldn't put it past them.

10 Sep 1918

Alfred E Neuman
1155346.  Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote

ali wrote:
QI wrote:
Qi: When was World War 1 first named as such?

David Mitchell: It would be the act of a pessimist to call it the "First World War that early, surely. It's gonna be some point after 1939, isn't it...
Klaxon goes off, screen displays "1939"
David Mitchell: EXCUSE ME! I think what I said, people in the box, was AFTER 1939, which may CONTAIN 1939, but does not mean...
Klaxon goes off, screen displays "After the Second World War"
David Mitchell: No no no! "After 1939" and "After the Second World War" are NOT synonymous... now this is just giving you time to type!
Klaxon goes off, screen displays "During the Second World War"
David Mitchell: Why don't you just type "Mitchell is a cock?"
Stephen Fry: I wouldn't put it past them.

10 Sep 1918

Bugger. If I'd waited half an hour to post, I'd could have looked a lot less ill-informed...

Zziggy
1155349.  Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Surely it's only a world war once the final country joins in, no? :P

Alfred E Neuman
1155354.  Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote

In that case Switzerland screwed it up for everyone...

suze
1155393.  Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
It wouldn't have been called World War I until World War II started.

Now there's a thing. Did anyone in fact use the nomenclature World War until there had been two of them?

If you read stuff written in the 20s and 30s - at which point there had been but one - it always refers to the Great War.

tetsabb
1155444.  Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:03 am Reply with quote

'Great' as in 'large', I guess, rather than 'terrific'. I doubt anyone had a 'great' time between 1914 & 1918

Ian Dunn
1155447.  Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote

Also, has been stated before, there was another Great War before that. The Great War was previously the term used for the Napoleonic Wars.

ali
1155452.  Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Did anyone in fact use the nomenclature World War until there had been two of them?

If you read stuff written in the 20s and 30s - at which point there had been but one - it always refers to the Great War.

Reflections on the World War, Part 1, by Th. Von Bethmann Hollweg; tr. by George Young; London, 1920

suze
1155489.  Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote

Good work, ali!

Time magazine claims to have been the first to use "World War I", when its edition of 12 Jun 1939 ran an article anticipating that its sequel would not be long in coming.

That same article used "World War II" to refer to the war which it saw coming, while a minor Danish newspaper named Kristeligt Dagblad was the first to refer to the conflict by such a name once it had actually started.

That was its edition of 4 Sep 1939. The headline - in Danish, unsurprisingly - was "Den anden Verdenskrig udbrød i Gaar Middags". That translates as "The Second World War broke out yesterday afternoon".

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1247231.  Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
A thought struck me over the question of where the first shot was fired during World War One. Stephen said that the first shot was in Togoland on 7th August. However, I though back to an earlier QI when they said that World War Two started a lot earlier than most people think, and it is rather British-centric to assume to started in 1939 when several over related events occurred before.

Similarly, Stephen said that World War One started on 4th August 1914, but that was only the date the British joined the war. A quick look on Wikipedia reveals that the war began a week earlier on 28th July 1914, when the Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, with the Russians, the Germans and the French all declaring war before Britain did. Isn't there a chance therefore that shots were fired before Britain joined the war? After all, the reason we declared war on Germany was because they invaded Belgium.

Actually the first shot fired at British troops took place in Togoland. It's arguable that the First World War, for the British Empire at least, even ended in Africa as Allied troops were tied down fighting von Lettow-Vorbeck's troops in German East Africa right up to 1918.

Page 1 of 1