Chris Neal wrote:
Mahican - Wisconsin
Mohigan (Muheggan) - Connecticut
Mehecan Mejican - Mexico

Millican - South Shields

PDR

bemahan
1155064.  Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quote

Not sure what the OP is saying but Mohicans and Mohegans are not the same tribe.
There are lots of references about the on the internet.
Quote:
The Mohicans and Mohegans are two different tribes. "Mohican" sounds a lot like "Mohegan," but that is because British colonists had trouble pronouncing the Mohican name for themselves, Muheconneok, and the Mohegan name for themselves, Mohiingan. Today, many people think that the Mohicans and Mohegans are the same tribe because of the famous book "Last of the Mohicans." The author, James Fenimore Cooper, made some mistakes in that book. He gave several of his Mohican characters Mohegan names and placed their homeland in Mohegan territory. Because of this error, some people still call the Mohegans "Mohicans" today.
http://www.bigorrin.org/mohican_kids.htm
From Wiki:
Quote:
By using the name Uncas for one of his characters, he seemed to confuse the two regional tribes: the Mohegan of Connecticut, of which Uncas had been a well-known sachem, and the Mahican of upstate New York. The popularity of Cooper's book helped spread the confusion.

Chris Neal
1155113.  Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote

Its all phonetic transliteration from various indigenous languages into an anglophonic form. There are various ways tribes/nations pronounce names and change syllabic stresses, the anglophonic Mexico Mexican becomes changed to the hispanophonic Mehico or Mejico and likewise Mehicano Mejicano or sometimes Mehican Mejican.

Thus Mahican and Mohigan (Muheggan) and Mehican are sufficiently similar to be construed as within the phonetic remit of 'Mohican' mentioned in Qi but this Mexico link was omitted.

suze
1155131.  Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote

As for the hairstyle, it's only called a "Mohican" in Britain. None of the three possible kinds of Mohican actually wore that hairstyle.

In North America it's known as a "Mohawk" - although they didn't wear their hair like that either. Germans know the hairstyle as an Iroquois - and guess what, neither did they.

The Pawnee of Nebraska did wear that hairstyle, and archaeologists believe that noble people in Iron Age Ireland did too.

gerontius grumpus
1155386.  Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote

In the BBC dramatization it was the Hurons who had that hairstyle.
I expect someone will tell me they didn't wear it either.

I remember Philip Madoc as Magua with his hair in a huge saggital crest.

suze
1155391.  Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
I expect someone will tell me they didn't wear it either.

I fear that I am going to tell you just that. The Huron (or Wyandotte, as they by now prefer to be called) did not wear their hair in their fashion.

Of the various names that are used for the hairstyle, Iroquois is perhaps the least inaccurate.

The Six Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy (Haudenosaunee, as we say in this days when we attempt to avoid exonyms) did go in for quite severe hairstyling. But rather than leaving a sticky-up stripe of hair, they left behind just a square piece of hair immediately behind the crown. While they did understand the concept of shaving, and did it to remove their beards, that was not how they created their hairstyles. Instead, they plucked out the unrequired hairs; white men who saw it done compared the process to plucking a turkey.

The Six Nations are the Cayuga (Guyohkohnyo), Mohawk (Kanien'kehá:ka), Oneida (Onyota'a:ka), Onondaga (Onöńda'gega'), Seneca (Onöndowága), and Tuscarora (Skaru'ren').

Page 1 of 1