View previous topic | View next topic

Drugs Slang

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Fontanelle
251620.  Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote

The title is for the thread to have stamina potential.

My specific question is - why is Cocaine called Blow?

King of Quok
251647.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote

I'm guessing (and it's only a guess) it might have something to do with it being inhaled through the nose (on the same principal that it had a term of exhalation applied to it when you're really inhaling, along the lines of a blow job being anything but). It's also referred to as toot, nose and nose candy, which would seem to refer to the same activity. Partridge doesn't record it but does have blow a stick for the use of cannabis, recorded in the late 1960s in the US. Cocaine is/was also referred to - among many other names - as candy, cecil, charlie, coconuts, Colombian marching powder, flake, fly, freezer, golden girl, gonzo, jam, pimp dust, rock, snow and sophisticated lady.

Sergei
251658.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:48 am Reply with quote

It's typical of criminal cant terms to refer to something indirectly - compare rhyming slang. Blow is strongly associated with the nose, which is strongly associated with cocaine. Obscure to a bystander, clear to those who know what they're talking about.

A related question I've often wondered aboout is how 'dope' came to mean variously cannabis and heroin. I'm not sure, but my guess is that it originally meant heroin, became generalised into a vague term for all illegal drugs, and then in the sixties became specific again - though this time for the more fashionable cannabis.

ali
251677.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:35 am Reply with quote

Here is the dope on 'dope'.

masterfroggy
251682.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote

Sergei wrote:
It's typical of criminal cant terms to refer to something indirectly - compare rhyming slang. Blow is strongly associated with the nose, which is strongly associated with cocaine. Obscure to a bystander, clear to those who know what they're talking about.

A related question I've often wondered aboout is how 'dope' came to mean variously cannabis and heroin. I'm not sure, but my guess is that it originally meant heroin, became generalised into a vague term for all illegal drugs, and then in the sixties became specific again - though this time for the more fashionable cannabis.

Dope comes from the Dutch word Doop, meaning a thick sauce. In the 1890's it referred to the preparation of opium for smoking, which it resembles, a thick liquid that is. Raw opium is processed into morphine then refined into heroin, so I guess that is also the route that the name took, only later coming to mean illegal drugs or drugging.

Davini994
251751.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote

Blow to me is cannabis, I've never heard it used for cocaine.

Neotenic
251775.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote

Shouldn't cannabis really be 'suck'?

tetsabb
251902.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote

I could not help but remark, after a training session on access to part of the Police National Computer, that I had heard of cocaine being referred to as Peruvian Nose Candy

suze
251968.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote

D'oh, someone has already said what I was going to say here.

As you were ...

Last edited by suze on Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sebastian flyte
251970.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote

I think its because you get a 'cold' after and your nose runs, and you go all 'sniffy' like Sniffy Windsor allegedly
and um you have to blow your nose? no?

Awaits Klaxon!

Davini994
251978.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Shouldn't cannabis really be 'suck'?

Then cocaine would be snort!

Morningall
252405.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote

I always thought that it was called blow as that's the effect it has on your mind. Before it makes it go all paranoid and stuff, anyway.

Davini994
252406.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Ah. Now in that case it would be called "Complete wanker".

;)

Jenny
252446.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote

In North Carolina there is a very specific use of the word 'dope' to mean what in other parts of the US is called soda or pop, though it's a bit archaic now.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/smokies/

Glue used for sizing something is also called dope.

Fontanelle
252516.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for all the interesting information! So 'Smack' for heroin would derive from the impact it has on the consumer?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next