View previous topic | View next topic

Legacy hardware

Page 1 of 1

14-11-2014
1150592.  Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:51 am Reply with quote

Even most ICT-professionals won't know that it's still possible for an user, with the skills of an user, to connect legacy hardware, like a large PCI TV adapter or an old label printer with a RS232 serial cable, to most modern notebooks and netbooks.

The required hardware can still be found inside the machine, but there's no obvious external connector anymore. Typically the right external connector can be found under the notebook or netbook. A port replicator port, or a docking station port.

The GI will be caused by noticing that the notebook or netbook no longer has the classic port, so they'll buy e.g. a new USB printer to replace a fine printer with a legacy connector.

Additional hardware, a rather cheap port replicator or a docking station DeLuxe, is required to obtain the physical external ports again.

It looks like the port replicator port of a matching HP notebook can be found under the notebook, and that the RS232 serial cable can be connected to the connector to the right of the red port of this port replicator.

Posital
1150594.  Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote

Is it me? I guess I missed a pill this morning...

'yorz
1150596.  Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote

What do you mean 'this morning'?

Page 1 of 1