View previous topic | View next topic

Knitted islands on Lake Titicaca

Page 1 of 1

Steph
1147025.  Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote

The islands are not knitted, but woven, seems like a desperate search for a k...... In my opinion there are better extreme knitting examples, including the lovely Julia from KnitWits in Penzance, Cornwall who has knitted using Cornish Pilot Gig oars ( see juliaknitwits.blogspot.co.uk). Another example of extremities in the British knitting community would be Rachel John who can be easily found on You Tube knitting a rug/carpet using 1000 strands of yarn. I don't know who did this first but I heard of it about 10 years ago and beautiful blends of colour can be achieved, along with massive biceps and blisters. If anyone knows who pioneered it I'd be interested to know.

Jenny
1147059.  Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 am Reply with quote

Hi Steph and welcome to the forums - thanks for this. I can't imagine knitting with oars (I usually tuck one needle under my arm) but I can imagine it would give you massive biceps and blisters.

dstarfire
1245431.  Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote

I know almost nothing about knitting, but I can't imagine how you could knit with a mostly-rigid material like wooden oars. Sure you can bend wood a bit, but doesn't knitting involve making loops (i.e. 180+ degree bends) in your material?

Bondee
1245432.  Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote

You'd be a bit daft if you tried to make a 180 degree bend in a pair of wooden knitting needles.

crissdee
1245448.  Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote

PDR
1245457.  Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:34 am Reply with quote

dstarfire wrote:
I know almost nothing about knitting, but I can't imagine how you could knit with a mostly-rigid material like wooden oars. Sure you can bend wood a bit, but doesn't knitting involve making loops (i.e. 180+ degree bends) in your material?

It must be possible, because knitting is essentially a process of repeated knot-tying and it's very common to find wood with knots in...

PDR

Page 1 of 1