View previous topic | View next topic

Series D episode 9

Page 1 of 1

khasab
1143630.  Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote

Stephen's closing story of the pigeons that got eaten can't be true. Pigeons are 'homing' pigeons. They can only go home so the Canadians could have eaten three of their OWN pigeons ( that arrived back in their trench) but couldn't have sent the 4th one back with a message ( unless of course, it was sent back in a wicker basket, but that is clearly not what he meant).

14-11-2014
1143640.  Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote

khasab wrote:
Stephen's closing story of the pigeons that got eaten can't be true. Pigeons are 'homing' pigeons. They can only go home so the Canadians could have eaten three of their OWN pigeons

A fallacious argument. Your conclusion is based on the theoretical assumption that pigeons are at home, or that pigeons are flying towards their home. In reality I've seen pigeons resting near their home, even without food in that trench.

It is possible that the Canadians knew that the pigeons were their own carrier pigeons indeed, but we cannot conclude that without knowing what the pigeons were carrying, e.g. a message in German.

If the story is true, then the most likely version is QI's, because the Canadian army won't like the destruction of their important messengers by hungry, funny Canadian soldiers. To me it sounds like a funny story. It doesn't sound like a stupid confession.

khasab
1144154.  Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote

Absolute nonsense ! Have you ever kept pigeons? I have.
Quote:
theoretical assumption that pigeons are at home
What pompous language !
Your quote of my comment misses the essential part
Quote:
but couldn't have sent the 4th one back with a message

It's got nothing to do with food or resting near their home. Of course pigeons may sit around near their home. Really!
Let me explain again: Pigeons only go home. These pigeons arrived in the Canadian trench therefore they were the Canadian's pigeons because... pigeons only go home. Therefore they could have eaten them but they could not have used one to send a message back, it would not fly back. Pigeons are transported to another place in baskets (usually wicker) . They keep them there until needed then they tie a message to them and release them and they go home.
As for the bit about a message in German, I don't know what you're talking about. They were exchanging messages between other parts of their army NOT with the Germans (duh)
And as for your phrase "stupid confession" well... it's too odd to comment on, frankly.

CharliesDragon
1144156.  Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote

Anyone else keep thinking of Blackadder?

'yorz
1144164.  Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
In reality I've seen pigeons resting near their home, even without food in that trench.

How old are you??

Alfred E Neuman
1144177.  Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote

khasab wrote:
And as for your phrase "stupid confession" well... it's too odd to comment on, frankly.

You'll find that a fair bit with old 14. I don't have a clue what he's on about most days.

khasab
1144184.  Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote

Yes I realised too late, after I re-read the very odd wording of his(?) message that I was dealing with someone balmy.

'yorz
1144186.  Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote

Balmy? Not sure about that. Make it barmy, and I'd be inclined to agree. ;-P

Page 1 of 1