View previous topic | View next topic

Nazis

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Alfred E Neuman
1144874.  Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
Zziggy wrote:
... who and what are you quoting here, cos it ain't this thread ...

Bla bla bla...

Well done Zziggy, you've managed to get it to engage! I'm quite impressed - I wonder if they're trying out a new version of software or just getting reckless?

'yorz
1144876.  Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
Zziggy wrote:

You should already have been able to find out who the authors were. Regarding the what, you've answered your own question correctly: it's another thread. Excellent!

14, if you used the link-box as it's supposed to be, then nobody would have to make an effort to find out what you're on about.

14-11-2014 wrote:
Nevertheless I've added the number of the original article before I did read this. A random policy, but I've perhaps recycled its context in an unusual way. As such discussing the name of some band has hardly anything to do with this thread, but now you are able to verify that without having to use the search engine.

If that band is not relevant, then why bring it up in the first place?

14-11-2014 wrote:
I won't return the favour by asking you retorically why I have to mention the who twice, but without having to mention the source of my on-topic last quote. Instead I'll try to care less...

Again - if you would just use that link-box - it's not difficult, it gives those who for some reason do give a shit about your postings the context of your references.

But by all means - just stay on your own little island muttering to yourself.

Zziggy
1144882.  Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
Zziggy wrote:

You should already have been able to find out who the authors were. Regarding the what, you've answered your own question correctly: it's another thread. Excellent!

Nevertheless I've added the number of the original article before I did read this. A random policy, but I've perhaps recycled its context in an unusual way. As such discussing the name of some band has hardly anything to do with this thread, but now you are able to verify that without having to use the search engine.

I won't return the favour by asking you retorically why I have to mention the who twice, but without having to mention the source of my on-topic last quote. Instead I'll try to care less...

Uh huh. So, just to clarify:

You "quoted" a different thread from somewhere else on the site made six years ago, by someone who hasn't posted at all as far as I can see for three years, with absolutely zero context given at all, and are now having some kind of odd tantrum about the fact that we didn't all do the necessary legwork in order to understand what on earth you're replying to?

14-11-2014
1151935.  Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote

In 1939 Jews still had to finance their own refugee camp, which became a deportation camp.

Wikipedia, edited wrote:
On 15 December 1938, the Dutch government closed its border to refugees. In 1939, the Dutch government erected a refugee camp, financed partly by Dutch Jews, to absorb fleeing Jews from Nazi Germany. The Jewish refugees were housed after they had tried to escape Nazi terror in their homeland.

Following the German invasion of the Netherlands, the Nazis took over the camp and turned it into a deportation camp. From this camp, 101,000 Dutch Jews and about 5,000 German Jews were deported to their deaths in Occupied Poland.

Borders cannot be closed perfectly, so of course it wasn't a Polizeiliches Durchgangslager during the first few months.

German Jewish refugees had to live in 1939's middle of nowhere, and the middle of nowhere was a perfect place for Anne Frank's deportation camp. Nowadays the same middle of nowhere is used to listen to the sky too, with an array of radio telescopes.

One of the monuments, with one of the radio telescopes next to the camp.

bobwilson
1152055.  Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote

That page has disappeared (presumably out of embarrassment) - fortunately a copy still exists here http://web.archive.org/web/20141122210807/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/how-the-nazis-stole-christmas-1846365.html

Posital
1152076.  Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote

Thanks bob - that article is truly lol material.

ConorOberstIsGo
1152200.  Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote

I always liked the idea of a prequel movie where it is discovered that Herbie has Hitler's soul through some pagan nazi science (y'know pagan-nazi science; it's like Jewish physics!). Reborn into the cute little car he continues his campaign of hatred and murder and low quality art using a ton of metal and reliable engine. The mechanic hides the number 88 on the bonnet by turning it into 53.

After some time Hitler learns important lessons about friendship and compassion and becomes the friendly mute vehicle we know and love.

So who's organising the Kickstarter for this?

Zziggy
1158645.  Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote

A great story:

German town tricks neo-Nazis into raising thousands of euros for anti-extremist charity.

(Saw this originally on Cracked, but this link is the Grauniad.)

gruff5
1158669.  Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:17 am Reply with quote

There's a new German-made comedy film "Look Who's Back!" just come out about Hitler returning to the present day.

Anyone seen it?

tetsabb
1159426.  Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote

A Young Person at work asked the other day, "Apart from the killing, was Hitler all that bad? Did he not make life better for most Germans?"
I will confess that I had no ready answer: I don't know enough about the period from his election in 1933 till the War started to say. I suppose the economic/social things one is most aware of would include VW cars and autobahns to drive them on. Does anyone have any evidence either way? MIKE!!!

Zziggy
1159437.  Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote

I have a feeling, based only on vague memories from GCSEs, that he wasn't really that great for most Germans either. All fur coat and no knickers. For instance, unemployment went down, but it was because they stopped counting "undesirables"*, women, students, and any man in the army, and introduced mandatory national service. And anybody who still wasn't employed after that was basically forced to work for nearly free on things like the Autobahns. Plus of course things like the quality of education, media output, artistic output, everything like that went down the pan as they are wont to do during totalitarian regimes.

I could be wrong though, as I said,I studied this like 8 or 9 years ago now :/ *is old*

*which might have been extended to "anybody not in the Party" now I think of it??

Last edited by Zziggy on Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

Zziggy
1159439.  Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Also, they shut down Cabaret, and as we all know, life is a Cabaret old chum.

tetsabb
1159457.  Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote

Thanks zzigish one. So, reducing the number of unemployed by rejigging the definition -- typical sneaky foreign types: wouldn't get that here, would we?

Zziggy
1159463.  Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Of course not.

If I remember correctly, when they finished the Autobahns, they were then forced to stack shelves for free at Reichsmarkland.

CharliesDragon
1159465.  Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
*is old*

Although I from time to time get pangs of "Damn, I'm getting old!" mostly due to people younger than me moving ahead in life (finishing university, getting jobs, you name it), I fear we might not be in the right company to voice those grievances here. :P

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next