View previous topic | View next topic

The Race To '24. Will Trump be out of gaol by then?

Page 314 of 314
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 312, 313, 314

Who will win?
Jeb!
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Hillary
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Trump
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Sanders
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Chafee
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Webb
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cruz
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Huckabee
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Who Cares!
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 25

Efros
1385817.  Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:32 pm Reply with quote

*chortle*

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-matt-gaetz-marjorie-taylor-greene-fundraising-tour-is-actually-a-cash-fire?ref=wrap

PDR
1385822.  Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Behind a paywall, sadly

PDR

Efros
1385825.  Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Must be an EU thing, anyway the gist is that the fund raiser tour is actually draining the coffers of these two fuckwits.

Brock
1385827.  Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:55 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Must be an EU thing

Erm... no, I really don't think so!

(Just for the record, I can read it just fine.)

cornixt
1385830.  Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote

It's well worth seeking out the video of the guy who stands next to these two and says that he thinks she's not crazy and that Gaetz isn't a paedophile over and over until he gets accompanied out of there. The guy is clearly taking the piss, but everything so uncomfortable for them.

bobwilson
1386259.  Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:27 pm Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DV3fOnqe8Y

Doesn't need the commentary following it - sorry

Jenny
1386310.  Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Very powerful testimony.

bobwilson
1391369.  Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote

this is a show which will run and run.......

I won't bother posting the links but the latest twist in this tale goes something like this:

Republican Arizona Maricopa county hired a group called Cyber Ninjas to conduct a "forensic audit" of the presidential election. I put "forensic audit" in quotes because according to experts in the field there methodology was ... I was going to say flawed, but that would be putting it mildly. Basically, their results were flagged as being suspect before they even began.

Despite not actually presenting a formal bid for the job, and despite other more experienced players presenting formal bids, the Cyber Ninjas got the job.

Well, bless their little cotton socks - they managed to discover that Joe Biden's lead over Trump in the election was marginally higher than previously reported.

Which is nice of them - even though it's actually meaningless, because of the above caveats regarding methodology.

That's not the best of it though - just do a search on "trump responds to arizona cyber audit" - honestly, you could not make this shit up.

bobwilson
1391371.  Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote

meanwhile, in related news, Fox News are denying reports that Rudi Giuliani is banned from their programmes - although it does seem a bit odd he didn't appear on Sept 11th?

Alexander Howard
1391382.  Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:10 am Reply with quote

There is a certain kind of craziness spread by the internet bubble effect. 'Everyone I talk to and everything I read confirms that the Presidential election was stolen and Trump won because Google and YouTube know what I like and ensure everyone I talk to and everything I read is by the same conspiracy theorists'.

The same works on many levels - how could anyone believe those Trumpist theories so strongly that they believe everyone else to be evil and in on the plot? How could people really believe the race-theories being spread on campuses, and so strongly that they shout down other voices as evil and malicious? (Assaulting and threatening to kill lecturers and journalists because you accuse them of hate is insane - so is disrupting the US Congress in the name of protecting democracy.)

Is there any hope for America, and for lands where its weird culturally spreads?

Efros
1391384.  Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:25 am Reply with quote

It is indeed a serious problem, a recent poll showed that 78% of Republican voters polled believed the election was stolen by some kind of fraud, and that 54% believe there is concrete proof of that. There isn't and it wasn't.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/15/politics/cnn-poll-most-americans-democracy-under-attack/index.html

Jenny
1391433.  Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote

It will be a bigger problem in 2022 and an even bigger one in 2024 in my opinion.

In an effort to avoid being swallowed wholesale by the information bubble I try and read material written by right wingers as well as left wingers (though I do avoid the obviously batshit Trump conspiracy theorists), and I was very struck by this essay by Robert Kagan in the Washington Post.

Kagan is a senior Fellow at the Brookings Institute, and served in the State Department in the 80s under Reagan as a member of the policy planning staff, as principal speechwriter for Secretary of State George P. Shultz, and as deputy for policy in the Bureau of Inter-American Affairs. He's very much a neocon.

cornixt
1391434.  Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote

It's not restrained to America (we all saw what happened with Brexit and covid misinformation), it's just how more Americans are using the internet. Facebook is notorious for feeding your niche interests until you are off the deep end, but all US-centric news does the same to some degree. The number of fake local news sites is crazy, and they all parrot the same weird right-wing lies that fall apart under any real scrutiny. It's a real effort by people who want to undercut democracy so they can get a bigger piece of the pie. Trump is not a cause, just another symptom, as soon as he is gone they'll find a new dictator to idolise.

Jenny
1391435.  Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote

I am slightly reassured by this essay in Politico which argues that the fear of Trumpian influence is overblown.

CB27
1391452.  Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote

I think in terms of the US, it's not just about more internet users, I think most other countries have caught up and even surpassed if you look at the percentage of users compared to population.

What strikes me more about the US (though it's not alone) is that there seems to be a lack of oversight over media and communication. The UK has OFCOM as well as other bodies that are not in the practice of censoring information, but look to ensure certain standards are met, and you see similar bodies in other countries, but in the US the regulation bodies seem more concerned with competition laws than actual standards.

Page 314 of 314
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 312, 313, 314