4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Who Cares!
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 25

Alexander Howard
1329340.  Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:38 am Reply with quote

Maybe he couldn't tell the difference between Alabama and Bahama.

Efros
1329341.  Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:46 am Reply with quote

Joking aside, I think you are probably correct.

PDR
1329342.  Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote

I suspect it might also be that he'd never noticed the "panhandle" part of florida and assumed that Alabama went along the coast all the way to the peninsula.

PDR

cornixt
1329350.  Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote

I bet it was the same pen that he uses to sign all the official documents. We can laugh about him acting like a child but the president actually uses a felt-tip pen to sign all official documents.

He can never admit to be wrong, remember all the fuss he made about the crowd size at the inauguration? This isn't the last that we will hear of the Alabama hurricane, he's going to bring it up again and pretend that he wasn't wrong.

suze
1329353.  Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote

It is a shame that the publishing of fake weather forecasts is not an offence in Britain ...

Alexander Howard
1329360.  Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote

A thin felt-tip is the best pen for signing official documents, and preferably a blue felt-tip: that way the one receiving it can be sure he has an original and not just a scanned copy. The thicker ink begins to soak through. If the signatory has used a biro, you have to feel for the indentations to know for sure and if he has a light hand you won't even get that.

(Yes; I have had to do that several times today.)

Dix
1329367.  Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
A thin felt-tip is the best pen for signing official documents, and preferably a blue felt-tip: that way the one receiving it can be sure he has an original and not just a scanned copy. The thicker ink begins to soak through. If the signatory has used a biro, you have to feel for the indentations to know for sure and if he has a light hand you won't even get that.

... which obviously is why British banks and suchlike institutions insists that you have to sign with a black pen on official papers.
(sigh.)

The husband used to carry a green pen specifically for signing for just those reasons, but it's pointless in the UK.

cornixt
1329368.  Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote

I don't think we are at the stage where we doubt the authenticity of documents controlled so carefully by the US government. They probably end up in a sealed vault after being scanned at high resolution.

crissdee
1329370.  Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Its not the provable authenticity that's the problem here, it's that a supposedly grown adult in a somewhat important position thinks it's ok to even have a fecking Sharpie about his person!

cornixt
1329393.  Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote

cornixt wrote:
This isn't the last that we will hear of the Alabama hurricane, he's going to bring it up again and pretend that he wasn't wrong.

And two tweets later that day, one with a horribly out of date map for a current storm, claiming that he was right all along. I bet this still isn't the end of it, he is as predictable as the sun rise.

Jenny
1330019.  Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote

But is it art?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/9/16/20856316/poll-yougov-painting-ideology-trump

Efros
1330024.  Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Nah just scribbles, possibly someone gave Trump some crayons rather than Sharpies.

Celebaelin
1330030.  Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Barely even a colour study IMO. Compare it with this Kandinsky colour study for eample.

H.L. Mencken wrote:
No one in this world, so far as I know and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.

H.L. Mencken wrote:
The mistake that is made always runs the other way. Because the plain people are able to speak and understand, and even, in many cases, to read and write, it is assumed that they have ideas in their heads, and an appetite for more. This assumption is a folly.

http://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2011/09/no-one-ever-went-broke-underestimating.html

Last edited by Celebaelin on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

cornixt
1330054.  Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote

There is definitely a demographic of people who only think of art as being an identifiable picture of a thing that someone with talent has done. These people don't like grey areas, they like simple black and white so if they are unsure then they stick with what they know. It doesn't surprise me that those people are Trump voters.

Alexander Howard
1330075.  Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote

For the record, I think they're both rubbish and I cannot see how the art world appreciates these things, but I believe there is far more to art than making an identifiable picture of a thing.

Nevertheless, all is a matter of individual perception and priorities: I am not right and the other wrong, nor vice versa. Perception may be inherent rather than taught.

Artistic perception and social and political opinions may be determined by far deeper differences than how you learn, and transcend concepts of culture and intelligence. If we think someone must be an idiot for having a particular opinion, actually he may be brilliant, but with a different set of values and priorities which you cannot appreciate - but then you should you be expected to appreciate them.

A lot of political and cultural incomprehension would be resolved if we accept that wildly different approaches are not right and wrong, just different, and society cannot thrive without plurality in that respect.

Someone else has explained it far better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwibFhqh5k0

Page 219 of 221
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220, 221  Next