View previous topic | View next topic

Is homework too stressful?

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

PDR
1137165.  Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Ah. I wasn't aware you had spent so much time in every single school in the country (or even a statistically significant sample)...

PDR

swot
1137166.  Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote

*peers over spectacles*

PDR
1137171.  Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote

Well in this place we do rather expect sweeping assertions to be based on some kind of meaningful data...

PDR

CharliesDragon
1137172.  Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote

"Common sense" isn't good enough? :P

barbados
1137175.  Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Ah. I wasn't aware you had spent so much time in every single school in the country (or even a statistically significant sample)...

PDR

Not every school, but for a simple school's IT technician, I do get about a bit.
And while I do currently spend most of my time in one school, I am responsible for 47 schools in Surrey. Some of them, admittedly, in some of the nicer areas, some not so much. but you don't have to experience every school to see what makes good schools good.

It is, also as CD says, common sense.

PDR
1137190.  Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote

In my experience "common sense" is rarely either, but other than the obvious examples I don't have any comprehensive studies to verify my opinion.

PDR

barbados
1137192.  Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Lets carry out a quick experiment then.

There are two employers, both offer exactly the same renumeration package.
Employer one treats their employees well, and it is apparent that it values their employees input.
Employer two has a reputation whereby your skills are ignored and they make no secret of the attitude that there are plenty of other people out that that can do your job if you dont like it.

Where would you prefer to work?

PDR
1137201.  Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Oh for gawd's sake get off the soapbox.

FWIW some of the highest performing (from a customer perspective) firms of lawyers, accountants and engineering consultancies are well known for being utterly hard and ruthless with the staff.

But that's not the point you were making. What you were claiming was that the primary characteristic that determined how a school performed was how well or badly it treated the non-teaching staff.

Which is clearly utter twaddle, because no matter how much it sucks up to the support staff a school with crap teachers and poor academic governance will always perform poorly.

PDR

barbados
1137206.  Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote

No what I actually said was
barbados wrote:
Could it be that the quality of education is linked to the value that is given to the school staff?

I say staff, because it isnt just the teachers that make a school good.

Not non teaching staff, just staff. That includes everyone from the premises staff who mop up the vomit from the middle of the school hall, right up to the chair of govenors who set out the school aims. In order for a school to perform better than the school next door, each and everyone of them needs to be pulling in the same direction.

PDR
1137215.  Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote

Well done Barby. Another thread diverted an not worth continuing with.

PDR

Alfred E Neuman
1137216.  Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:43 am Reply with quote

I dunno PDR, you're pretty culpable too.

barbados
1137219.  Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:40 am Reply with quote

if by no contribution,you mean pointed out the reasons why KS2 should be given homework, pointed out that learning doesn't have to be boring, even homework. And then when the concersation moved on to the style and quality of education as a whole, pointed out that there are a number of factors that make a school good or bad, not just the teachers - which is actually pretty obvious.
Then I Guess the answer is no that isn't as much of a contribution no. I'm afraid I didn't get round to belittling your job, incorrectly as it turns out, or explain that people would actually rather work in a hostile atmosphere. I just hadn't got to it as quickly as you.

Perhaps we can now return to the topic at hand , which if I remember correctly, is to do with the quality of education.

Awitt
1137544.  Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote

This debate has been on and off in Australia too in recent times and the attitudes vary between our Government run (called state) and private fee paying schools.
At the very least the youngest kids will have a simple reader and a few spelling words to do at home.
From what I know from my employment in schools, by Years 3-4, there may be a project where more work is expected to be done at home.
This jumps a bit by high school (Year 7) where suddenly the kids get a bit of each subject each day to do at home.

I have heard stories about Asian students born here whose parents put extreme pressure on them from a young age and they're doing ridiculous amounts of study with their days so regimented, so some experience burn out by or soon after finishing school and then don't complete university.

gruff5
1137590.  Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote

Is work too stressful? Often

Is home too stressful? Can be.

Is homework too stressful? Often can be.

gruff5
1195811.  Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote

Was at an interesting talk by a neuroscientist last week and he was saying that research shows that across all subjects, homework has no academic benefit.

The only exception was mathematics, where doing homework did show a benefit. The reasoning is that mathematics is a skill that solo practice will improve upon.

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next