View previous topic | View next topic

2/6/15 recording quibble (spoilers!)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Zziggy
1135741.  Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote

Just been to the recording of the mind/memory episode. It was fantastic, we had a great time - but I have a quibble or three.

1. It was stated by his Fryness that amnesia never affects old memories, and only ever affects new memories created since the accident causing the amnesia. As I understand it, there are two types of amnesia, retrograde and anterograde. Anterograde amnesia does indeed prevent the creation of new memories, but retrograde amnesia results in the loss of old memories:
Wikipedia wrote:
Retrograde amnesia (RA) is a loss of memory-access to events that occurred, or information that was learned, before an injury or the onset of a disease.

2. My mum says that cows don't eat only grass, "or how would intensive farming work? ... And anyway, I know they eat clover, because of The Archers." In fairness, I think this might have been an off-the-cuff comment by Stephen, I'm not sure.

3. The point about being more likely to be right if you don't trust your gut. My mum and I are both pretty certain we've seen studies that say the exact opposite. I think the one I've seen particularly related to decisions like "should I invest all my savings in chihuahua racing?" rather than "what is the capital of Madagascar?", so I'm not sure if this is the distinction, but either way I felt it worth mentioning.

Other than that, wow - what a great day! :D special thanks once again to Mr Ian Dunn, without whom this would not have been possible!

tetsabb
1135754.  Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote

We don't have a 'like' button, or a 'homicidally jealous' button, do we?
Quibble away, dear lady.

CharliesDragon
1135757.  Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, the amnesia fact seems to be an attempt at explaining one type of amnesia that went completely wrong because it doesn't mention there is another type. I think that's been known to happen on QI before.

And cows eat most things you find in a meadow, which is a lot more plants than just ordinary grass (which anyway is a heap of different species). Cloves also makes for a sweeter-tasting milk, I think.

I am envious of you and sort of wish I'd grabbed the chance and a plane ticket. Oh well, maybe next time.

franticllama
1135779.  Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing Zziggy. I know we shouldn't go off of personal experiences and maybe what happened to my dad is not technically amnesia but he had a heart attack and as a result of the lack of oxygen he forgot pretty much everything. He didn't even know how to tie his shoe laces,* the point being his whole memory was affected. He struggles to remember new things he's told but also things that happened pre-heart attack.

It was an excellent afternoon though and would love to have the chance to do it again!

*he still doesn't come to that

Zziggy
1135785.  Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote

It was indeed excellent, and at the risk of rubbing it in even further (muahaha!), we were sat right in the centre of the third row - amazing view!

Spud McLaren
1135994.  Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
And cows eat most things you find in a meadow, which is a lot more plants than just ordinary grass (which anyway is a heap of different species). Cloves also makes for a sweeter-tasting milk, I think. .
I don't think cows eat cloves. Not in Northern Europe, anyway.

CharliesDragon
1135999.  Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote

Think again.

Translated article.
Don't ask me why I translated a Norwegian article instead of finding one in English... We're a country of farmers and I know a bit about ecologic farming here, it seemed logical to me.[/url]

Spud McLaren
1136004.  Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote

Err.. cloves and clover are a bit different...

Last edited by Spud McLaren on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PDR
1136005.  Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote

"roll me over, in the clover..."

PDR

Spud McLaren
1136007.  Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Whereas rolling in cloves might be a little uncomfortable.

CharliesDragon
1136012.  Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote

I knew I should have looked closer and double-checked with Google Translate...

And yeah, not cloves, but clover. The R representing plural in Norwegian while the S does so in English can trip one up.

nitwit02
1136036.  Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote

But, cloves is for wearing, mate.

CharliesDragon
1136717.  Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:

2. My mum says that cows don't eat only grass, "or how would intensive farming work? ... And anyway, I know they eat clover, because of The Archers." In fairness, I think this might have been an off-the-cuff comment by Stephen, I'm not sure.

He is right in-so-far as that cows don't eat brambles and whatever-have-you like goats will. Cows prefer softer vegetation, and they're good for keeping forests from growing too dense, because they'll leave the saplings, but will eat the weeds and grasses.

It depends on the context Stephen said it in, but on its own it's a bit right and a bit wrong.

NickF
1136746.  Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote

Cows graze and goats browse.

CharliesDragon
1136749.  Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote

Yes. If you see a cow browsing the aisles of a shop, it's probably a goat (or three) in disguise.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next