Embrace General Ignorance

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

CB27
726684.  Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:04 am Reply with quote

Zzzz....

MinervaMoon
726793.  Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote

The "bumfit" fact was in the compilation episode of series fünf.

suze
726796.  Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote

How to count to ten in Burmese: tit, hni, thoan, leh, nga, chao, kunhni, shit, ko, se.

So if you were to spend a long day drinking Burmese beer, you might get to a stage of being tit over the shit.

At which point I shall move swiftly on, and note that in the counting system of the Oksapmin people of Papua New Guinea, the word for "three" is bum rip.

soup
726810.  Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:

Yain, Tain, Eddero, Peddero, Pitts, Tayter, Later, Overro, Covvero, Dix; then Bumfit for 15 and Jiggit for 20.

Wasn't the heroine of the "wee free men" (Tiffany) nicknamed Jiggit by her granny as she was the twentieth grandchild?

Moosh
726819.  Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote

Yes, and the Pictsies count using Yan, Tan, Tethera etc.

Peregrine Arkwright
735976.  Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote

What colour is water? And how can you tell?
Peregrine Arkwright

Lhyzz
788499.  Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote

I did a quick search but was not able to find any discussion of this one. If it's been done, apologies.

On page 13, under the heading "Do marmots kill people?", the final paragraph deals with Groundhog Day. It says
Quote:
Each year, a marmot known as Punxsutawney Phil is pulled out of his electrically heated burrow at Gobbler's Knob, Pennsylvania by his tuxedo-clad 'keepers' who ask him if he can see his shadow. If he whispers 'yes', it means winter has six weeks to go. Since 1887, Phil has never been wrong.

Now, maybe this whole paragraph is just a joke... but let's just assume that it's not for a moment, since the rest of the entry was not intended as satire. There are many errors.
1. The name of the town is Punxsutawney, not Gobbler's Knob. Gobbler's Knob is just a wooded hill where they hold the ceremony, but it is not a village or town in any way.
2. Nobody asks the poor creature if he can see his shadow, and they certainly do not expect an answer, whispered or otherwise. When he emerges, he either will run back into his burrow, or remain outside. If he runs back in, he is said to have been frightened at the sight of his shadow, and if he remains outside, he is said not to have seen it.
3. Phil is far from being infallible. In fact, he has only been correct approximately 39% of the time, according to StormFax Weather almanac.

CB27
788531.  Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote

As I understand it, Gobbler's Knob is not actually in Punxsutawney itself, but outseide town.

I think the bit about the whispering was wrong. As you say, it's about whether he sees his shadow or not. I think the error came because part of the ceremony includes his handlers talking to him in Groundhogese, but I think this is more to elaborate on the more tehnical matters of the weather, or perhaps he's just remniding them he's not Skipinder, and to tell that boy to keep the bloody hell away from him...

You're also right about the accuracy, I'm not sure where that came from.

Welcome to the site, hope you're not firghtened by any shadows :)

Oceans Edge
908614.  Fri May 11, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote

A fun little image... seemed like a good place to stick it.

djgordy
917263.  Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote

Yesterday I was at an audition for a quiz show and as part of the exercise people had to talk about themselves. One lady, as a teenager, used to appear in police line ups. She was asked what would have happened if she had been picked out.

She said "nothing, as it would be regarded as entrapment".

I don't have any other support for the entrapment thing at the momnet but it would make a good general ignorance question if someone could check it out.

djgordy
929669.  Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Q. Who was the last Englishman to win the Wimbledon men's singles trophy?

A. Fred Perry.............incorrect.

A. Bernard Neal.............correct. He has won the said trophy38 times since 1963. Of course, he wasn't playing tennis. He was playing croquet.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-13930153

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5