QI Psi

Page 7 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

DELETED
12962.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

Gray
25178.  Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Okay - here's the QI Psi thread for discussing matters of the paranormal, coincidences, etc. Flash, you should re-post that King Edward Island one here - fabulous!

Flash
25179.  Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Gray's referring to this:
There's a book called Beyond Coincidence by Martin Plimmer and Brian King which has this story in it:
Quote:
Charles Coghlan, a leading actor in Victorian times, was born on Prince Edward Island, off eastern Canada. After a distinguished career, he died, following a brief illness, in Galveston, Texas, in 1899. Too far from Canada to be sent home, Coghlan was interred in a lead-lined coffin and placed in a local burial vault.

A year later, Galveston was struck by a hurricane that hurled massive waves over the cemetery and washed Coghlan's coffin out to sea. In stately solitude, the weatherbeaten box floated into the Gulf of Mexico, rounded Florida and sailed up the American coast until it reached Prince Edward Island. It was then picked up by local fishermen. He had made it home and was buried in the church of his baptism.

Digging a bit more, it appears that this story was first popularized by the Ripley's Believe It or Not! column. Its bona fides were examined by Ted Streuli, a reporter for the Galveston News in 2003, who reported that
Quote:
John Cousins, a University of Prince Edward Island history professor, teaches a class in local folklore. He said the story was nothing more than an urban legend.

“I am sure the story is not only fiction, it is what is called fakelore,” said Cousins. “That is a fictional account made to sound like an authentic tradition and foisted off by writers who have something to gain, most likely money.”

The legend spread after the story was widely published as a Ripley’s Believe It or Not syndicated feature. It was republished and discussed at length in Ripley’s first book, published in 1929....

... it’s unlikely that Coghlan was even buried in Galveston, much less washed to sea during the 1900 hurricane. Both The New York Times and The Galveston Daily News reported on Nov. 28, 1899, that Coghlan’s body would be sent immediately to Prince Edward Island for burial.

The following day, the Daily News published a follow-up story that said Coghlan’s widow intended to have his remains cremated, in keeping with her husband’s wishes. Since the nearest crematorium at the time was in St. Louis, the widow planned to take Coghlan’s body with her to New York, where there were family members and a cremation could be accomplished.

The Daily News reported that Coghlan’s body was at the Levy Brothers funeral home, awaiting transport to the East Coast.

But there, attempts to verify precisely what became of Coghlan abruptly halt. Although the funeral home is still in operation, a spokes-man said all records from that time — which would have conclusively established the disposition of the actor’s remains — were lost in a 1979 fire.

http://exploratoria.com/2004/12/speaking-of-coffins.htmlhttp://www.100megsfree4.com/farshores/p03coff.htm

JumpingJack
25928.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote

I think we should all have a go at the clairvoyance tests at www.gotpsi.org and see whether anyone gets a decent score.

If there is any success – I think I'm quite good at it – I want to ask the site owners if they will let us adapt it as an arcade game for the QI bar and share the proceeds.

JumpingJack
25929.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote

I'm off to have a go and will report back...

JumpingJack
25932.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Report No.1.

Location Test

Two goes of ten goes each.

Score 2.6 to 1 against chance.

Natalie
25933.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote

Haha, I did the card draw test, where you keep going till you find the one with the hidden picture: 4.4 to 1.

JumpingJack
25942.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Ooh. Nat.

Can you tell what I'm thinking?

JumpingJack
25944.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Report No.2.

Location Test

Score 5.6 to 1 against chance.

(The first ten was 'close to chance', the second ten was 27–1 against)

I'm creeping ahead Natalie...

JumpingJack
25945.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Mind you 4.4 – 1 on a first go is really remarkable.

Though it could just be luck, I suppose...

JumpingJack
25948.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Report No.3.

Location Test

Running total (over 60 goes) now 6.2 to 1 against chance.

JumpingJack
25949.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Let's be having you, contenders!

JumpingJack
25950.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Report No.4.

Location Test

Four goes of ten goes each.

Running total (over 100 goes) now 8.9 to 1 against chance.

Yesss!

Jenny
25951.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote

I had three 10-card runs at the card test and got an overall score of 9 correct out of 30, but the third trial was far worse than the first two.

I had two goes at the remote viewing test and got everything as absolutely wrong as I could possibly get it! I didn't fare any better on the quick remote viewing test, with only one right out of 10.

I did ten tries at the sequential card test. Interestingly, on this one I got the card right first time several times, but on three of the tries it took me five guesses to get the right one, which knocked the average right down. Altogether I took an average of 2.3 steps to find the hidden card. An average of 3.0 steps is expected by chance, and the odds of my result are about 16 to 1.

I got 20 hits in 10 trials at the Card Draw test, which is at chance level (but I was getting bored by then!).

Natalie
26000.  Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Just did another of the same as I did before, and I got 2.1 to 1.

I have no idea whether that's good or bad.

Page 7 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next