Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

nitwit02
1224661.  Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote

Not Aragon?

gruff5
1224662.  Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Mars actually isn't that orange (NASA "recalibrated" the colours in the photos).

PDR

I think NASA is in error - I can look up in the sky and quite clearly see the orange colour of Mars. Perhaps they landed in a less-orange-than-average area?

PDR
1224712.  Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:27 am Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
Not Aragon?

We'll have none of those spanish practices HERE, if you don't mind...

:0)

PDR

PDR
1224713.  Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:33 am Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
PDR wrote:
Mars actually isn't that orange (NASA "recalibrated" the colours in the photos).

PDR

I think NASA is in error - I can look up in the sky and quite clearly see the orange colour of Mars. Perhaps they landed in a less-orange-than-average area?

John Redwood was convinced that planet earth was made of solid sapphire because viewed by telescope from his home planet it always looked blue. But when he got here he was disappointed to discover that we barely have any blue-tinged rocks (let alone sapphires)...

PDR

gruff5
1225105.  Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote

what ya smokin', PDR?

tetsabb
1225109.  Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote

He's not smoking now, just vaping, IIRC. Though I believe you can get vape liquid with THC in it

PDR
1225125.  Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
what ya smokin', PDR?

I'm just trying to point out that the colour of a planet as observed from space does not necessarily relate to the colour of its surface (eg Earth looks solid blue from any serious distance away). So the fact that Mars looks red/orange from here doesn't show that its surface is red/orange. The red/orange colour we see from here is actually from dust in its upper atmosphere rather than its rocks.

NASA has stated that it adjusted to colour in its Mars images because they didn't "look orange enough".

PDR

PDR
1225126.  Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
He's not smoking now, just vaping, IIRC. Though I believe you can get vape liquid with THC in it

Not even vaping any more (haven't used the thing for weeks).

PDR

gruff5
1225973.  Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
I'm just trying to point out that the colour of a planet as observed from space does not necessarily relate to the colour of its surface (eg Earth looks solid blue from any serious distance away). So the fact that Mars looks red/orange from here doesn't show that its surface is red/orange. The red/orange colour we see from here is actually from dust in its upper atmosphere rather than its rocks.

NASA has stated that it adjusted to colour in its Mars images because they didn't "look orange enough".

PDR

No, Earth does not look solid blue from a distance - never heard of the Pale Blue Dot, popularised by Carl Sagan? That's an average of the white cloud cover and the solid blue of the oceans.
There have been numerous photos of Mars (all calibrated and correctly colour adjusted) taken from space telescopes and cameras orbiting the "Red Planet". They all show a rusty-coloured world - which is not surprising, since the colour originates largely from rust - iron oxide.

Mars has occasional dust storms, sometimes very large ones, but these are not a significant impacter on the average colour of the planet. The dust in its atmosphere scatters light and causes the sky of the planet to look salmon pink from the ground, but is very thin and does not cause a significant change to the colour of the planet seen from space (unless there is a rare dust storm going on - they can sometimes engulph the entire globe).

The Greeks called it the red planet, the Romans called it the red planet, I call it the red* planet

Get over it!

*the word "orange" in English is a fairly recent addition, otherwise we might have called it the orange planet.

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5