Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

gruff5
1132149.  Tue May 05, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote

Pointless to go.

Pointless not to go.

Dilemma.

tetsabb
1132165.  Tue May 05, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote

Would Alexander Armstrong and Richard Osman have a view on that?

gruff5
1132473.  Thu May 07, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote

I suspect Alex might follow his relative where no man/person had gone before. The Sultan would not fit in the capsule - even folded up.

Alexander Howard
1132481.  Thu May 07, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote

Did NASA worry about the choice of Neil Armstrong, given the history of his family? You would expect an Armstrong to have reached the Moon, checked the Lord Warden was not in the vicinity, and then to have stolen it.

PDR
1132485.  Thu May 07, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote

They knew he was a safe and sound person simply because he was a keen aeromodeller for most of his life. Aeromodellers are (as we all know) the finest of all humanity - virtually gods in fact.

PDR

Alexander Howard
1132624.  Fri May 08, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Well, with America going down the pan, it is time to roll our sleeves up and get a British Mars mission going, and to ensure that the first man on Mars is a Briton.

gruff5
1145096.  Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote

If Corbyn puts that in his manifesto, he gets my vote. Stuff being sensible.

I see that Valentina Tcherenkova-something (first woman in space) has volunteered to go on one way trip.

14-11-2014
1145104.  Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote

Quote:
get a British Mars mission going, and to ensure that the first man on Mars is a Briton.

Supporter points, international crowdfunding and watching internet ads will be cheaper. So far the best British bet is Clare, number 22. Level 3, 233 internet points. The British man has no internet points yet.

Clare hopes to travel the world solo soon, and she likes rollercoasters, jumping out of aeroplanes, snowboarding, geocaching and storm chasing through Tornado Alley.

As far as I know you cannot travel the world there, there are no rollercoasters, there are no aeroplanes to jump out of, snowboarding will be quite hard, there aren't that many geocaches hidden, and this British genius will have to return to visit the American Tornado Alley...

gruff5
1145132.  Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote

Those are things she likes to do on Earth. I don't know what geocaching is, but seems like she can surpass all of the rest on a trip to Mars (eg no tornadoes on Earth compare to a Martian dust storm).

14-11-2014
1145259.  Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Those are things she likes to do on Earth.

Outdoor activities. All facilities can be found here. I'm talking about Clare's specific internet scifi mission/hoax/scam, and not about theoretical general entertainment one may imagine.

During sensational storms she would be living in a boring safe building, most likely without windows. As far as I know an airport for aeroplanes to jump out of isn't planned, nor the construction of at least three different rollercoasters.

If Apollo's traverse maps are still a valid standard in 2027, then the village will be a golden prison, but without fresh air nor freedom. Not the best destination when you're over 50 years old by then and still claim to like outdoor activities, including but not limited to outdoor snowboarding without a trusty spacesuit.

gruff5
1145415.  Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote

I've watched her personal vid now :( Is Clare really our (UK) best bet?

There are many things I would conceivably entertain to make the trip to Mars, including cancer-causing cosmological radiation. But being cooped up in a tin can with Clare for 12+ months is the deal-breaker (she'd probably feel similarly about me).

That's it. I'm not going anymore.

14-11-2014
1147189.  Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote

Wikipedia wrote:
The 2013 study included 8 people and ran for 120 days (4 months). It is a simulation of a Mars analog habitat and the participants had to wear simulated spacesuits when they went outside. Members of the HI-SEAS crew went outside the habitat once a week in spacesuits to explore the terrain and to perform geological and microbe-detection studies. The focus of the study was on a diet which consisted of traditional space food (such as freeze-dried items) as well as various recipes made from a special list of ingredients. Six scientists completed the study.

gruff5
1147203.  Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote

Haven't NASA got a new Mars analog habitat study just started? One year duration. Their habitat is unrealistically roomy, though - a huge dome and nothing like a real interplanetary craft would be.

Can't help feeling these analog studies are just playground fun and mostly a cheap way of pretending something is happening.

PDR
1147220.  Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote

There is no reason why a mars ship wouldn't be roomy - air has very little mass to cart over there and the vehicle would undoubtedly be assembled in orbit so you don't have to worry about the air drag of launching it.

PDR

Alexander Howard
1147259.  Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote

More to the point, and this has not been discussed at all as far as I am aware: what flag would the British Mars vehicles fly? The Americans, so unimaginative, have only one flag, but we have to choose an ensign.

Is it to belong to the Royal Navy, using the White Ensign, or the Royal Air Force with the air force ensign? Is it for the non-military Government Blue Ensign? If it is a private venture, does the vessel bear the red ensign or the civil air ensign, or must the Flag Institute devise a whole new suite of flags for spaceflight?

If the Mars mission were a joint Commonwealth effort, or a CANZUKI effort, what then?

Not enough thought has gone into this vital area.

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next