View previous topic | View next topic

Little and Large - Waltzing Matilda correction

Page 1 of 1

Whilezee
1131563.  Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote

Couldn't help but make an account to correct the following statement, which was made by the"Little and Large" episode of QI, which just aired in Australia.

The question was along the lines of which countries armed forces has an official march about a tramp by the a pond being accosted by a farmer because he's stolen a sheep in his lunch bag?

The answer was that the song was "Waltzing Matilda", and while it is associated with Australia, the song is used by the First Marine Division because of their relationship with the Australian army during WWII.

While I have no doubt the above is true, the song Waltzing Matilda is also the official marching song for the First Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment. This I can guarantee due to my service with that Battalion.

So I am not sure about the accuracy of the forfeit which was awarded to Richard.

Jenny
1131881.  Sat May 02, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote

Thank you Whilezee - we do love a good quibble, especially when it's well sourced :-)

JohnWizki(d)
1141652.  Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote

Whilezee wrote:

While I have no doubt the above is true, the song Waltzing Matilda is also the official marching song for the First Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment. This I can guarantee due to my service with that Battalion.

So I am not sure about the accuracy of the forfeit which was awarded to Richard.

I just watched that show and was a bit surprised when that buzzer sounded as well. Great little feedback Whilezee!

For me, Waltzing Mathilda set me out on a little trail following the German origin of the word. ´Auf der Walz´means travelling as a craftsman. It made me think of actor Christoph Walz who portrays just that in Tarantino´Django Unchained as ´travelling dentist´ Dr. King Schultz.

In reality both Christoph Waltz´ current wife and his mother is/was a costume designer. His father was a stage designer and his grandparents were famous theater actors. The biological father of Waltz´mother Elisabeth Urbancic was Rudolf (Von) Urbancic who comes from a familyline of prominent Viennese doctors.

Christoph Waltz is ´auf der Walz´ because he practices his craft acting travelling the world, he played what his great-great-grandfather was, he does what his grandparents did, his wife works in the profession his mother chose.

Forgive me, I am sometimes in awe of the patterns that form throughout history. The song Waltzing Matilda makes me feel the emotions, struggles and hardships that people experience in their lifetime. Those lifetimes shaping the patterns of history.

Ok, I´ll stop now before I cry :)

Whilezee
1179829.  Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote

I do love the full brass compliment paying the song I must admit :) Youtube the Waltzing Matilda and Last post combination, I believe the 1RAR brass band put it together and they play it somes years during our dawn services.

Also I managed to find a video my wife took in 2009 which shows 1RAR marching to Waltzing Matilda, it is of a poor quality as this was just before the smartphone boom :P

https://youtu.be/H-Z1ZSie12o

swot
1179864.  Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote

Waltzing Matilda features in another brass band classic: Saddleworth Festival Overture. When we first played in the band, the conductor explained/I half-listened and got the idea that Waltzing Matilda was written by a Brit in Saddleworth, Greater Manchester (formerly, and somewhat confusingly, in Yorkshire). Some googling suggests that there's a Saddleworth in Australia and this piece was written to celebrate the twinning of the two Saddleworths. Sadly, the only source I could find for that was another forum, but I figured that it's more reliable than something I sort of remember being told fourteen years ago.

hamishwal
1188679.  Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:35 am Reply with quote

Not only is it indeed the march of 1 RAR, it is also the march of the Australian Army itself - disagreeing entirely with the question posed on the show. As listed here http://www.army.gov.au/Our-work/Community-engagement/AAB/Resources [available as at 21 Apr 16], the Australian Army March is a medley of Waltzing Matilda and Brown Slouch Hat.

This is all backed up in this publication backed by the Army:

http://www.mhhv.org.au/?p=5099

Page 1 of 1