View previous topic | View next topic

Malaria

Page 1 of 1

tictacbox
1129349.  Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote

I hope I'm not a bit late to the party here, but I work in haematology so I find malaria fascinating. But a lot of the people I work with are from Africa so they find it extremely commonplace.

Some interesting things:
-malaria was only eradicated from America in 1951 and 8 US presidents had it
-Ancient Romans (as in from Rome) used to get it from the swamps around Rome, which is where the name comes from mal aria meaning "bad air"
-it used to be a treatment for syphilis. Because it raised the body temperature so much it could kill off the spirochetes. It unfortunately also fairly regularly killed patients so was stopped.

I'd love to know any other tidbits if anyone has anything. I think I'm going to have to give a presentation and would like to be able to jazz things up a little.[/list]

daleinoi
1129756.  Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote

Scientists are working on genetically engineering mosquitoes that cannot carry malaria -- for instance, http://www.its.caltech.edu/~haylab/

HKfan
1168370.  Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote

Cromwell Olly had it

Look up Patrick Mosquito Manson
early work on elephantisis
taught Sun Yat Sen*, rescued him when he was kidnapped by the Chinese Govt in London founded London School Hygiene Tropical Medicine
Helped Set up Dairy Farm , a major HK company
friend then rival of Ross(Nobel for malaria)

* founder modern China

'yorz
1168371.  Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote

'friend then rival of Ross Nobel' - I had to read that a few times before the coin dropped

suze
1168391.  Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote

HKfan wrote:
Cromwell Olly had it

It has for a long time been the received wisdom that he did, certainly.

We now think of malaria as a tropical disease, and since malaria is non-contagious the only way to catch it is to go somewhere hot and get bitten by an infected mosquito.

But a form of malaria did exist in Britain and Ireland. It was rarely fatal, although there was a death from malaria on the Isle of Sheppey as late as 1952 - the last recorded death from malaria contracted in Britain - and the relevant species of mosquito is reported as having become re-established on Sheppey in the last twenty years. (Global warming, ish, probably.)

At Cromwell's time, though, ague - as it was then known - was much more widespread. Sheppey and Sandwich were notorious for it, but it was also prevalent in the Fens of East Anglia and in boggy parts of Ireland.

So yes, Cromwell could have had malaria; it was not rare - although not usually fatal - among soldiers who had been in Ireland. Boru's Revenge?

Page 1 of 1