View previous topic | View next topic

Dorset

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
63340.  Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote

Two things make me worry about this question:
i) I believe we have covered chilli in the last series; could be used as a quickie GI?
ii) This story turned up on April 1st, though all the facts stack up.

Question: Where is the world's hottest chilli grown?

Forfeit: Mexico, USA, India...

Answer: Dorset.

Notes:
As (I think) we all remember from the last series, chillies are measured by the scoville scale, as invented by Wilbur Scoville in 1912. Until recently the record holder on this scale was the Red Savina habañero with a rating of 570,000, but this record has been smashed by a pepper grown by Joy and Michael Michaud of Dorset.

The Michauds, who own a small business called peppers-by-post, grew their chilli in a poly-tunnel in their market garden and sent it to the laboratory of the American Spice Trade Association (the world authority on spiciness); the Dorset Naga, as the chilli is called, came back with a Scoville rating of 923,000, almost double that of the previous hottest chilli.

S:
The Times 1st Apr 06
also reported in the telegraph
http://www.peppersbypost.biz/

Incidentally, I wondered about an idea to encourage the panellists to hit the forfeits hard. If Steven began the show with something like:

"we have recieved complaints that our scoring system is a bit harsh, so to encourage high scores we will be giving 100 points for each correct answer in this show"

Of course we would then include questions with impossible answers and loads of potential forfeits.

eggshaped
154071.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:03 am Reply with quote

New record holder for world's hottest chilli.

Bhut Jolokia, at 1,001,304 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), is nearly twice as hot as Red Savina, the chile pepper variety it replaces as the world’s hottest. A New Mexico green chile contains about 1,500 SHUs and an average jalapeno measures at about 10,000 SHUs.

link

Page 1 of 1