View previous topic | View next topic

Extra Points

Page 1 of 1

NeilP
1126005.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote

QI has used "Nobody Knows", "Elephant in the Room" etc. for the panel to spot the connection. I suggest "Said the Actress to the Bishop" for appropriate double entendre (or tripple/quadruple/etc) not immediately obvious. If there are historical situations where a Bishop and an Actress are actually involved so much the better! You can use this phrase in many 'awkward' situations to pop the bubble of pomposity... try it!

nitwit02
1126231.  Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote

Another one of that ilk is, "As the gardener said to the Art Mistress".
Certainly, it must be pre-war in origin, but suze could put us right.

Zziggy
1126233.  Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote

I've heard the first as "let's all keep our parts to ourselves", but I've never heard the other.

suze
1126234.  Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote

Beginning with "as the actress said to the bishop", it probably started life in the music hall. Its first appearance in print came from the pen of Leslie Charteris (Meet the Tiger, 1928, which is the first novel featuring Simon Templar).

By the by, I don't think I knew before that Leslie Charteris was born in Singapore to a Chinese father and English mother; his real name was Leslie Yin.

"As the art mistress said to the gardener" has not been traced so far back. The first known use is by Beryl Reid on the BBC wireless broadcast Educating Archie (1951), and apparently it was ad libbed. Whence Miss Reid got the line we don't know, and she died in 1996 so we can't ask her.

It's not been used a great deal in Britain, but North Americans traditionally used "That's what she said" in a similar sort of a way. That one definitely began life in the music hall, in a song of about 1896 with the rather non-PC title of All coons look alike to me. One Len Spencer is known to have recorded this for Edison in 1896; that recording does not survive, but some more recent renditions do.

CharliesDragon
1126238.  Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I'd love a "That's what she said" penalty. I admit it's rather internet-teenage-y, but I seem to recall QI's viewers include teenagers. Either way, it shouldn't be too hard to pick up on, should it? Just explain at the start of the program it is a double entendre thing... To find facts that fit without becoming distasteful might be harder. (Yes, I'm aware 30-70% of the panel contribution is knob gags, but the facts are, well, factual.)

(Edited to fix idiotic sentence.)

Last edited by CharliesDragon on Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

'yorz
1126240.  Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote

I don't get the 'That's what she said'. The actress-version seems funnier to me.

swot
1126243.  Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:21 am Reply with quote

Does that help?

'yorz
1126245.  Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:31 am Reply with quote

Ah. Yes. Ta.

Page 1 of 1