Where is this?

(VIDEO OF DIDCOT POWER STATION)

Forfeit:

DIDCOT
THERE
IT'S THERE
THERE IT IS

Answer:

Sutton Courtenay. Technically speaking, the power station is located in the parish next door.

'Oxfordshire' is, of course, an acceptable answer.

Notes:

The six huge cooling towers of Didcot ‘A’ and ‘B’ power stations dominate the entire landscape of South Oxfordshire and are visible for many miles in every direction. In 2003, readers of Country Life magazine voted them the third worst eyesore in the country*.

The power station was designed by Frederick Gibberd who was also responsible for Liverpool Cathedral.

The cooling towers are mentioned in Bryson’s Notes From A Small Island and featured in an episode of Inspector Morse. The town itself also gets a passing mention in The Office.

Didcot ‘A’ is the older of the two power stations. It is fired by 95% coal & natural gas and 5% sawdust.

Instead of sawdust, palm kernel expeller (a kind of cattle feed extracted from palm kernels is sometimes used).

PICTURE RESEARCHERS

DIDCOT COOLING TOWERS

Helen: as you know, I live right next to the national eyesore. Actually, it is extraordinarily striking from almost any angle and in almost any weather. I'm planning to take the QI camera over and shoot it myself for a lark, but if you fancied an away-day...

Technical details:

*Windfarms topped the poll and Birmingham’s New Street station came second.

Sources:

s: bbc
s: wik
s: www.findaproperty.com/story.aspx?storyid=8606
s: http://www.bbc.co.uk/oxford/features/2003/11/didcot_power.shtml
s: www.npower-renewables.com/whyrenew/biomass.asp
s: www.klk.com.my/busi_plantation_p.htm

Flash
63224.  Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:20 am Reply with quote

There's some material on drop towers elsewhere on this site which might link. One of them, in Baltimore, used to be the tallest building in America.
post 54047

JumpingJack
63227.  Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:42 am Reply with quote

Excellent looking thread, Flash.

Have you formalized the 'rain-drop' bit as a question?

JumpingJack
63228.  Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:49 am Reply with quote

In fact it looks to me as if there are several possible questions in that thread alone.

The 'ullage allowance' is great phrase we ought to be able to do something with.

There ought to be something in the illegal nature of selling beer in metric measures.

I'd also propose the question:

Where would you find the biggest drip in the world? for that stalactite.

Shall I write it up while I'm about it?

Flash
63308.  Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Yurs, good. We could have a sequence of the biggest drip (Gruta Rei do Mato), the biggest bore (Qiantang River) and the slowest drop (University of Queensland) - or would that be the old three-bacteria nightmare all over again?

JumpingJack
63320.  Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote

No, no, far from it.

I think that's very amusing

Page 1 of 1