View previous topic | View next topic

On this day... a QI almanac

Page 48 of 50
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50  Next

suze
1263387.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote

That's the good husband told!

Thanks Guy, I can sound a klaxon in his direction. I can always find a good use for some ammunition ...

GuyBarry
1263392.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote

Glad to be of service :-)

(I may not know a lot, but what I do know I'm pretty sure of...)

GuyBarry
1263406.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:

Anyone used to be fascinated with all the different place names on granny's old radio as a small kid? I kept wondering where all these exotic places actually were, Beromünster, Daventry, Athlone, and so on... WHOA! (The fine town of Átha Luain is not all that exotic, tbh, but I didn't know that when I was four)

Nor is Daventry. Or Droitwich, for that matter :-)

"Allouis" is another one that I remember. And I thought that "Hilversum" was one of them, but having checked I find that it's not the location of a transmitter but the main centre for broadcasting in the Netherlands. Looks as though my memory's as fallible as anyone else's.

AlmondFacialBar
1263410.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote

Radio Hilversum (as it was known internationally thanks to its transmitter location) was the Dutch equivalent of the BBC World Service and had the same roots, broadcasting to far flung colonies. It grew from a transmitter into a major broadcasting centre, but the transmitter was there first and made it onto granny's radio display.

And no, whenever I've passed the Daventry exit on the M1 it never struck me as particularly exotic either.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

GuyBarry
1263422.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Oh, so I'm not wrong then. It's rather as though the BBC had decided to base itself in Daventry because it was close to the transmitter :-)

crissdee
1263425.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote

I had a couple of good nights there when my old army buddy was working in the shadow of the giant concrete tower you can see from the motorway.

AlmondFacialBar
1263430.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Oh, so I'm not wrong then. It's rather as though the BBC had decided to base itself in Daventry because it was close to the transmitter :-)

I think it's because it was convenient both for Amsterdam, where the news happened, and Eindhoven, where the transmitters were made.

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1263452.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
I kept wondering where all these exotic places actually were, Beromünster, Daventry, Athlone, and so on... WHOA!

Canadian wireless sets of my youth were nothing like so exciting. There is no long wave broadcast radio in North America, and all broadcast radio is for a fairly local audience.

But the good husband too remembers seeing these exotic European places on his radio dial as a young person. He is disappointed to learn that France Inter no longer transmits from Allouis on 162 kHz; that frequency is by now used only for France's atomic clock.

Radio Luxembourg (The Fab 208) and its Irish offshoot Atlantic 252 are long gone. Europe 1 still broadcasts from Saarlouis on 183 kHz (it was originally a pirate station, and thinks itself sufficiently rebellious that it has never signed up to the 9 kHz convention), but these days it is a talk station. Radio Caroline went vaguely legitimate, and broadcasts on the Internet from a flat above a shop in that most rock'n'roll of towns, Strood.

But the most exotic to his teenaged way of thinking were Kalundborg and Beromünster. They were in Denmark and Switzerland respectively, but neither carries broadcast radio any longer.

GuyBarry
1263459.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote

"The Daventry shipping forecast will follow in a minute" - from Little Betty Bouncer, recorded by Flotsam and Jetsam in 1927.

'yorz
1263460.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
I think it's because it was convenient both for Amsterdam, where the news happened, and ....

Eh? What do you mean?

AlmondFacialBar
1263469.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:
I kept wondering where all these exotic places actually were, Beromünster, Daventry, Athlone, and so on... WHOA!

Canadian wireless sets of my youth were nothing like so exciting. There is no long wave broadcast radio in North America, and all broadcast radio is for a fairly local audience.

But the good husband too remembers seeing these exotic European places on his radio dial as a young person. He is disappointed to learn that France Inter no longer transmits from Allouis on 162 kHz; that frequency is by now used only for France's atomic clock.

Radio Luxembourg (The Fab 208) and its Irish offshoot Atlantic 252 are long gone. Europe 1 still broadcasts from Saarlouis on 183 kHz (it was originally a pirate station, and thinks itself sufficiently rebellious that it has never signed up to the 9 kHz convention), but these days it is a talk station. Radio Caroline went vaguely legitimate, and broadcasts on the Internet from a flat above a shop in that most rock'n'roll of towns, Strood.

But the most exotic to his teenaged way of thinking were Kalundborg and Beromünster. They were in Denmark and Switzerland respectively, but neither carries broadcast radio any longer.

RTÉ took over the 252 along with the transmitter for their long wave service.

Beromünster had a special place in the hearts of many a German granny back then because that's what they turned to for unbiased news during the war. Being caught at it had very serious repercussions, up to and including hanging, so it had to be done in a very clandestine fashion indeed, but it was still better than no news at all.

'yorz wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:
I think it's because it was convenient both for Amsterdam, where the news happened, and ....

Eh? What do you mean?

Just something that would make sense to me. In the days before instant communication it made sense for a broadcaster with Radio Hilversum's remit to be close to the capital because that way it was reasonably easy to get hold of important people quickly, no?

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
1263477.  Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote

Business-wise, perhaps. Politically, The Hague would be more to the point.

monzac
1268097.  Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote

On this day in 1790 Jean-François Champollion was born.

'yorz
1268101.  Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quote

My first thought - "Eh? That can't be". He surely was a clever teenager.

tetsabb
1268182.  Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote

monzac wrote:
On this day in 1790 Jean-François Champollion was born.

Now which nice lady was I with when last I saw the Rosetta Stone???
A very good day, that!

Page 48 of 50
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50  Next