View previous topic | View next topic

Pizzly Bear

Page 1 of 1

vanjeet
1121370.  Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote

A pizzly bear or grolar bear is a rare hybrid of a grizzly and a polar bear. The hybrid bear has been encountered in the Canadian Arctic. That characteristic of the hybrid bear is between a polar and a grizzly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8321000/8321102.stm

CharliesDragon
1121371.  Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote

"Pizzly" sounds to me like it's a pissy animal, as in not much good. "Grolar" sounds like a growling animal, much better. :P

Zebra57
1121652.  Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:29 am Reply with quote

Grizzlar? Pozzly?

There are a great deal of potential hybrids one could imagine like a Gorilizee or a Shoat. No doubt there are many more!

suze
1121734.  Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Geeps and shoats absolutely exist. They're not common, but have been attested in many sheep farming communities.

As far as I can discover, there have been no confirmed cases of inter-species reproduction in the family Hominidae.

CharliesDragon
1121812.  Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote

Unless you count Neanderthal/Homo Sapiens interbreeding, which I'm guessing you don't.

A chimp/bonobo mix would probably be possible, but I would see it as immoral to purposely make it happen. They also have pretty different sex lives, so they might misinterpret any signals the other part gave.

A human/chimp mix has never happened, despite theories that it has. That would certainly be immoral, and the poor creature would probably be extremely confused no matter what camp it was raised in.

Other great apes might be too distantly related to make a hybrid possible, or at least keep a pregnancy to full term.

There's a lot of hybrids of both small and big cats, though. Bengal cats and Savannah cats, although treated like just another breed of domestic cats, are hybrids of domestic and wild cats. (Asian leopard cat for the Bengal and serval for the Savannah.)

The cama is a cross between a camel and a llama, and they're pretty cute.

Some hybridisation causes problems or illnesses which means the animal does not lead a good life or dies before its age. The African-Asian elephant mix Motty born in Chester Zoo in 1972 died after twelve days.
Other hybridisations can give rise to a new species, the offspring being fitter for the enviroment than both their parent species.

vanjeet
1121839.  Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote

Extending the possibilities from Tigon and Liger to other members of the Panthera genus (not to be confused with Pantera, which was awesome) there are many possibilities for hilarious portmanteaus. I like the Lijagupard (lion + jaguar-leopard)

Other interesting hybrids I could find (funny sounding, actually) are the Zorse and Zonkey.

Interestingly, modern human ancestors are also believed to have breed with another extinct species:-Denisovan

Page 1 of 1